What to do after CT8?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Hannah Neira, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Hannah Neira

Hannah Neira Member

Alright everyone, Happy New Year...

Finishing off the CTs with CT8 in April (taking it easy as a badly-timed wedding gets in the way of study). Provided it's a pass, does anyone have any recommendations for September? So far I've been doing everything strictly in order, so CA1 would be next, but I can't help thinking that April to September - with a couple of holidays on the way - isn't long enough to tackle that particular beast. It's not even long enough to fit in the study leave.

So do I just take September off entirely and do CA1 on its own next April? Or should I take CA2 or 3 in the meantime? The typical study hours proposed by the Institute make CA2 and 3 seem like light options but the pass rates would suggest otherwise... any tips?

(No, there isn't anyone at my company who can help! I'm the only student so far who is on track to progress beyond CTs, and all the seniors qualified before the current system was put in place.)

2. Pede

Pede Member

CA3 isn't an option if you haven't passed CA1. Nothing to stop you taking an ST though.

3. bystander

bystander Member

Couple of options spring to mind. Ca2 and ca1 studied over two sessions. Ie start may for the following April. It works because syllabus changes affect apr rather than September. Or do an St. Choosing is hard though. Doing one relevant to your work may be slightly easier in that material may be less new but then when would you do the fellowship - often better together. Or go for a different St that won't affect your fellowship - I'm rather assuming here you don't work in GI? For me I like the idea of still progressing so Ca2 and a long run at ca1 might have been my choice if you can get a space on ca2. The choice is yours.

4. Uroš

Uroš Member

I did CA1 and CT8 in September. I failed CA1.
    My plan is to retake CA1 and do CA2 in April.
    I think CA1 exclusively is doable for you in September if you can neglect your social life a bit :)

Good luck with CT8, do not underestimate it.