What standard of Maths is sufficient for CT3?

Discussion in 'CT3' started by Gbob1, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Gbob1

Gbob1 Member

I've done up to A-level Statistics (not Further Maths) is this enough for CT3? How are you finding the course? I've just completed CT1 and I am thinking of doing CT3 sometime in the future when I finish uni. How close in difficulty would you rate CT3 to CT1?

Many thanks!

*edit* I have had a look at the syllabus and it does seem like I have touched on some of the stuff like variance, standard deviation etc. But there are stuff like the Poisson Distribution (which I've heard about) but have never done before.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2010
  2. bystander

bystander Member

If you have the patience, you can compare pass rates per sitting - the results are on the actuaries.org.uk website. But the last sitting CT3 was slightly ahead of CT1.

But I think much depends on the individual as to what's hard and what isn't.

3. MissAussie

MissAussie Member

gbob, I think you'll be fine. I too had done some basic stats eg. mean, variance, but not encountered the particular distributions before eg. poisson.

Just make sure you allow enough time to learn the material.

4. Gbob1

Gbob1 Member

How much time did you allow? I had 4 months to do CT1 but I found it a bit too tight. Would you say 5 months is ok?

5. MissAussie

MissAussie Member

Again, that's up to the individual. I have crammed for all my exams which I don't recommend at all. 4-5 months should be plenty.

6. tiger

tiger Member