What mark(%) is required in an exam to pass?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by kidstyx, Apr 1, 2008.

1. kidstyx

kidstyx Member

What mark (%) is required in an actuarial exam to pass?

In the university where I graduated, the exemption requirement was 60% in the final exam although the external examiner could change this requirement depending on the difficulty of the exam. Therefore the pass percentage usually ranged from 57% - 63%. Is this also the case for the Institute/Faculty exams?

2. Pede

Pede Member

Sure this has been posted before somewhere. Think the institute once said, roughly:

CT 60%
    ST 50% (and CA1?)
    SA 40%

But very volatile from sitting to sitting, depending on ease of paper.

3. thomasb

thomasb Member

If the pass mark for an SA exam is so low - how come the pass rate (as in number of people passing) is also quite low?

Thomas

4. examstudent

examstudent Member

probably because the exam is hard, questions are not easy

5. Niel

Niel Member

Forget about the pass mark and aim for being in the top 30% of candidates writing.

6. mattt78

mattt78 Member

can you pass a CT exam with a 50% score?

I've just taken CT4 and CT5 and think I got about 50% and 55% in these papers, so I'm wondering if I should assume I've failed, or if I have a realistic chance of getting a pass. What do you think?

I know everyone says 60% should get you a pass, but I never took that to mean that the pass mark is usually about 60% - just that it is rarely higher than that.

I passed at CT3 paper that I'm sure I didn't score more than about 40% on, and got an FA on a CT8 paper where I think I only got about 45%, so I really don't think the pass mark on the CTs is usually as high as 60%.

Anyone else know more about this, or have any thoughts?

7. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

You're borderline 50/50. Because ct4 and ct5 are a bit are more difficult ct's (along with ct8) you might be ok with 50%.

Probably you'll get at least one of them, maybe two (if you really did get 50% that is!!)

8. mattt78

mattt78 Member

can you pass a CT exam with a 50% score?

thanks avanbuiten, that's encouraging, i'd be happy with one pass out of two.

I'm not entirely convinced though - i'm expecting a pair of FAs - a pessimist is never disappointed, as SEB would say.

9. chfoong

chfoong Member

To matt78, are you sure you only got 40% for the ct3 and you passed it? I am having the same question as you that I wasn't doing really great in the recent ct3. I think I only able to obtain 50% or little bit more than that. I am so worry about the result coming out this July...

10. Goku

Goku Member

Agree that the pass mark for some CT's has to be between 50 and 55%. I just wrote CT5, and hope the pass mark is not above 55% :(

11. mattt78

mattt78 Member

pass mark for CT exams

No doubt the pass mark varies quite a bit from one sitting to the next, (and between courses) but to answer you question chfoong, yes, i'm pretty sure.

In fact I took CT3 twice, made a complete mess of it the first time and was shocked to get an FA. I'd guess I got 30-35% that time, no way more than 40%. Then I retook it, still messed it up somehow, think I scored about 40% but got a pass.

If I had to guess I'd say a 50% score on an average CT3 paper will be well within 1 standard deviation of the mean score, (I'd guess 0 - 0.5 st devs below it), so if the pass rate is high (as it usually is for CT3, often over 80% I think) you'll pass, but if its lower this time you could miss out.

But that's just my guesswork - could all be rubbish of course. :confused: