What is this.!!

Discussion in 'CT2' started by HARDIK, Sep 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HARDIK

HARDIK Member

Q)...A company intends to acquire a factory and 600,000 of plant and machinery.
    Explain the taxation implications of leasing these assets rather than purchasing them
    outright.
    I saw this ques in 1 of the past papers....can somebody please tell me that where in the core reading this comparative analysis of these 2 methods..!!?????????

Regards

2. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Leasing

It isnt descibed in the notes. I guess this was a higher skills question :)

3. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

As Colin says, it is not explicit in the Core Reading, but there are some things we can say drawing from various bits of CR:

Purchasing assets:
    - tax liability will be reduced as taxable profits are reduced by the amount of capital allowance for the specific asset (remember: depreciation doesn't affect taxable profits)

Leasing
    - tax liability will be reduced as taxable profits are reduced by the costs of the lease payments

The relative merits of these will depend on the type of asset being bought/leased and the capital allowances.

There are also two types of leasing which could have different tax treatment.

4. HARDIK

HARDIK Member

Sir this a regular trend that I have seen in recent years.
    In the paper prepared by IAI the long questions are tougher than the normal course core reading or even the question paper made by IFA London.
    The last years papers are available on the website of IAI....which makes it even tougher to pass the exam...virtually half paper becomes a notch above the core reading, Its like u study somethng else....and questions are not of that difficulty level...
    Please suggest what to do....!!!!
    Some people have told me IFA has a better passing rate which is nearly 50% on an average...on the other hand IAI has approx 20%..and that too on the higher side...
    Should I be thinking about switching to IFA London..????
    Can it be done now...I have passed CT1...and that about it..!!!:eek:

Regards

5. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Institute

This is a hard one for us to comment on, and has to be a decision left to each inividual. I am not sure how easy it would be, I am afraid, if you were to try. Sorry for the weak answer but it is not something we can either recommend or discourage.

6. Calum

Calum Member

As far as the mechanics of switching go, my understanding is that yes, it is fairly straightforward. And having seen some IAI papers I understand why you might want to!

Some things to think about might be the relative worth of the qualification, where you intend to practice, the practicalities of studying with an organisation 7000 miles away, any cost differences, etc.

I do wonder how Indian employers are going to weigh the value of IAI qualifications versus elsewhere, given the level of papers that are being set.

7. Sanjay

Sanjay Member

I have no idea why the IAI asks questions beyond the Core Reading. For example they asked sums on factoring and hire purchase. I honestly don't understand their thought process.I think they are being very unprofessional. I have written to the Institute, but they pretend to be blind.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2013
  8. HARDIK

HARDIK Member

See...thats the main thing....
    I totally agree with you Sanjay...the fact of the matter is that a student will not (quite frankly can not!!!) study something beyond the core reading and when you see past papers you get bamboozled by whats asked...its not altogether a differnt thing....but its definitely not what there was in notes.>!!!
    My current thinking of switching to IFA UK is not a knee jerk reaction because I failed a particular exam, it stems from the fact that I have many more to go.!!!!!!
    This is my ultimate cause of worry..!!:mad:
    But as Calum said studying in India from a institute in UK does have its limitations.
    This is why I want to know what is the exact procedure in case I opt for a switch.Please help..!!!!
    All those things that I ought to be knowing....
    Economically IAI is beneficial but when you will be giving the same paper twice or more that effect is definitely neutralized. :rolleyes:
    For the completion a student has to attend workshops and seminars at the end of course...How is that thing to be done...can some one throw some light on it....?????????????????????

Regards

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2013
  9. suraj

suraj Member

@ Hardik
    Why switch?? You can give exams from both IAI and IFA like most of us here in India do. Exams are cross-exempted except for SA and CT9.

And don't go by the pass rates of two institutes. The CT-6 exam (Nov 12, IAI) which I cleared, had a pass rate of 20%, but I can assure that it was one of the easiest exam I've seen. I was under-prepared but still couldn't find anything challenging in that exam.
    So it's not right to compare pass rates directly.
    What I've observed is that a 20-25% pass rate in a IAI exam is equivalent to 55-60% in an IFA exam.

It's a myth that IFA exams are easier than IAI. I cannot comment on CT-2 and 7, but for others the difficulty level is quite the same.

10. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.