what is the best way to understand Time series chapter?

Discussion in 'CT6' started by Niranjan, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Niranjan

Niranjan Member

Dear John Lee

In CT-6, the content of all the chapters can reasonably be followed except Time series chapter. Can u pl help in giving tips as to how we should follow this chapter. The content and examples are not so helpful to understand the concepts in a logical way. This chapter seems to be very dry and not easy to understand. The basics are not very clear.

look for your tips pl.

Niranjan,
    India

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The CT6 online classroom is fab at this (and not just because it's me).

The bottom line is that the majority of Ch12 is about finding the ACF for each of the time series. So you need to be able to do this for MA's (the easiest one to do it for) and then AR and ARMA's (as they have a slightly different method as they are harder).

Try a bunch of exam questions in a row on MA's and then on AR's and finally ARMA's and that will cover the bulk of exam questions on this chapter.

3. Niranjan

Niranjan Member

Dear John lee

Thanks for your valid suggestions but I also realized that chapter 2 ( stochastic processes) under CT-4 is the best stuff to understand Time series chapter effectively.

Niranjan, India

4. skhurana

skhurana Member

Hi,
    I have just started doing the past exam questions for time series and most of it is theory for e.g sept 2004 Q 7 part ii... I don't have a little clue what's going on in there. Are these the sort of questions we get in exams . I thought it will be more about solving statement rather then explaining concepts

5. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The key point it's trying to test here is that for an AR(2) the ACF decays but the PACF cuts off for lag>2.

Remembering the properties of ACFs and PACFs for the MA, AR and ARMA is critical as it is asked often.