What happens when you qualify?

Discussion in 'Careers' started by jimlad, Jul 31, 2009.

1. jimlad

jimlad Member

I'm nearly there.

What will happen when I qualify?

What will happen to my salary? Presumably it'll be increased by more than the SA paper increment.

I'll work more because there'll be no more study leave. But even more over and above that?

I'll get hassled by headhunters some more?

I will achieve enlightenment?

Something more?

2. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

Yea keep on dreaming! Enlightened? Most qualified actuaries I know tend to behave as if they have blinkers on - with a narrow view to life. It's almost always about arrogance i.e. some believe they are always right. I wouldn't call that "enlightenment". Sorry for the rant. There will be some people disagreeing with me on this.

3. bystander

bystander Member

Its disappointingly unmagical - once the celebrations of realising your achievement the rest of the world doesn't suddenly bow down.

Your job will not change unless there's a vacancy or of course you go a-heading for something.

You may get calls but its not because someone has put your name in the frame for a job. There's still a lot of work to do to get a new position.

What is new is CPD. You will quickly have to start proving you are keeping uptodate. That can be exciting as you attend conferences and start to network more. But you may have to fight for the budget to go along as clearly not everyone can go to the same events.

Don't get me wrong, its great but don't believe its your ticket to a happy ever after!

4. Meldemon

Meldemon Member

You find your social life magically appear from under the bed where it's been hiding for the last 6 years... :D

5. Goku

Goku Member

ah, a social life...now that's worth fighting/studying for...

6. Demolition

Demolition Member

You grow wings...

7. jimlad

jimlad Member

What kind of pay rise?

8. capitalH

capitalH Member

I was hoping for enlightenment, the ability to complete work by just thinking about it and a pay rise that requires a smaller font for my bank statements.

But I will accept the social life life thing...

9. jimlad

jimlad Member

Technically, you could just give up the exams... Et voila, your social life is back!

All your friends will shun you for being a quitter, though. That's the downside.

10. Goku

Goku Member

lol, yeah! I suppose our reputation would be too negatively affected if we had to quit, and our "friends" would drift away...

So now we have to qualify to get our social life back! But once we reach the promised land, it would be Sweet Home Alabama! We'd be partying in style every weekend (provided we're still single hehe)!!

11. jimlad

jimlad Member

On the day I qualify I expect to walk into the office and suddenly all the women will 'notice' me. 4 or 5 of them will probably get flustered aroud me and may even faint.

Right, guys?

12. Goku

Goku Member

You mean all the female "actuarial students" will notice you. Muggles wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a student and a fellow ;)

13. Meldemon

Meldemon Member

In an actuarial office the females will mostly be fellows / students themselves - why should they worship you for doing something that they are themselves doing / have done? Sheer male arrogance if you ask me! :p

14. Goku

Goku Member

Sure ofcourse; my manager's a qualified female actuary.

Though for all matter's male, a fellow would get more looks than a student ;)

don't take me too seriously :cool: