What does "timestamping of the document" mean as stated in Student Newsletter?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Krishna Awtar Loya, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Krishna Awtar Loya

Krishna Awtar Loya Made first post

Dear all

The student Newsletter that I received on 30th October states in one of its paragraph
    "As a reminder, your submitted script file should also be time-stamped prior to the end time of the examination period."
    I have gone through exam related docs but didn't find any mention regarding this REQUIREMENT.
    I request you to please clarify stating what does "timestamp" here mean.
    Thank you in advance.

2. Dar_Shan0209

Dar_Shan0209 Ton up Member

Hi,
    The info section of the MS word/excel has the time you have created the file and last edited the file (basically when you saved it and closed it). This should be before the exam ending time. If your exam was 09 00 to 12 15 UK time, the time saved (time stamp) should be at or before 12 15. It was prohibited to carry on continue working on the exam script after the exam time so even during the 15 mins upload time, ideally your file should not have been saved.

3. Krishna Awtar Loya

Krishna Awtar Loya Made first post

What would happen if mistakenly I pressed Ctrl+S just before uploading to ensure that it is saved properly.

If this timestamp requirement was a "Rule" that must be followed, I would have taken extra care for this but I believe this should have been highlighted either in FAQs or Joining Instructions beforehand.
    The only thing mentioned you are prohibited to continue your work, but in the online environment, the fear of uploading a wrong document tends to take me back to the doc multiple times and check if naming of the file is correct, nothing remains unsaved, file path is correct, file size is within limits and so on because once uploaded, I cannot change it. It is natural for me as a student and may be for many of the other students!

limamichelle likes this.
  4. BrianCunningham

BrianCunningham Active Member

Some versions of Word autosave very freqently (I know Office 365 does on my work PC) so if you opened up the document after you finished it, it might save again. There is a "Total Editing Time" field in Word as well, as long as this is in and around 3:15 I'd imagine you'd be ok. PC clocks can be inaccurate as well , but that's relatively rare these days as Windows will attempt to sync with an atomic clock over the internet (unless it has been disabled).

Krishna Awtar Loya likes this.