What do you do to have a break from studying?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by RobWat, Mar 30, 2008.

1. RobWat

RobWat Member

I was thinking about how I study, and I don't know about you, but I have a real problem with inertia. Once I take a break I find it incredibly hard to find the will power and motivation to get back to studying. It's particularly a problem around lunch time. For instance, I often watch some tv whilst I eat, but I find it incredibly hard to turn it off and get back to work. When the alternative is studying just about anything seems more pressing and interesting. For example, I normally would never bother writing on a forum such as this, but (like just about everything) it seems far more relevant to my life than the waffle of CA1.

What I'd like to know is what activities do people do to take a quick break (15 mins to a hour) and how do they discipline themselves to get back to work afterwards. Also do you feel refreshed after your break, or does it merely serve to highlight how dull studying is?

2. Louisa

Louisa Member

Hi Rob -
    That sounds very familiar. The wordy ones in particular - I used to literally fall asleep over CA1 and CT2, despite acted's best efforts at livening it up.

I think the trick for quick breaks is
    a) do something physical so you have to sit down and study again when you're tired
    b) do something extremely dull - even CA1 looks more interesting after doing the washing up and tidying the bathroom.

Or how about using your break to move your studying somewhere else: different room, office, public library ?

I find it also helps if I'm doing something very active for studying - make a one-page summary of each chapter, make my own flashcards, or just lots of past papers.

Then I have the concentration span of a goldfish at the moment, so who am i to talk.
    Good luck!
    Louisa

3. RobWat

RobWat Member

Thanks for the tips. It's good to know I'm not the only one.

4. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

what's duller than CA1?!
    i find myself doing lots of cleaning, and i'm a slob. I know turning the Tv on is a no-no. But . . cleaning is more important and exciting. :confused:

Going to the gym, then lunch, is a good long break and then i have plenty of energy afterwards.

Napping is not a bad idea! I've found myslef falling asleep quite often while studying CA1. I must have learned something though as i passed it at the last sitting!!

:D

5. RobWat

RobWat Member

I was wondering that myself: what is duller than CA1?

Unfortunately you can't have a poll asking what's the dullest subject as the maximum number of options is 10.

For me it's a close call between CA1 and CT2.

6. well, nothing stopping a poll on 'is the dullest subject a CT, CA, ST, SA or PM' and then a sub-poll for which ct / ca / st / sa / pm...

if anyone is really looking to avoid studying they can set all those polls up!!!
    :D

7. examstudent

examstudent Member

in the true spirit of an actuarial exam, before you establish the poll:

clarify the definition of "dull" (in relation to the subject)

does dull mean :

A) conceptually difficult (in which case CT2 is not dull)

B) long (i.e CA1)

c) easy but cant be bothered cos theres is something more attractive to do etc!

etc etc

8. RobWat

RobWat Member

I guess I mean its capacity to bore you to tears.