What CT's should i chose for Septemper 10 exams?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by DevonMatthews, Feb 23, 2010.

1. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

I am sitting CT3&4 in april and pretty sure i can pass both quite comftably, so i would like some ideas on what i should do next. I (Should) have completed CT1,2,3,4 after this sitting.

I am half way through CT5 core reading at the moment, so i was thinking i will probably do that in sept, but what else should i do? If i have to chose between CT6,7 or 8? I plan on studying day after next exams.

2. bystander

bystander Member

I admire your optimism and forward thinking.

CT8 is notoriously one with lower pass rates so you may be better off keeping that for a longer sitting. CT7 is more of a written paper than mathematical so it depends how you feel your skills are in that area.

CT6 is statistical and as you've already got one stats paper could be handy to do the 2md close to the first.

Don't think there is a really obvious choice.

What I what say is don't be over complacent about this sitting. You need to time your build up well with sound revision and exam practice. Don't get sidetracked into the excitement of a new subject and make sure you are at your peak of knowledge/experience come the Apr exam.

Good luck

3. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

Thank you for your input Bystander. I don’t think I am being complacent. I am just being realistic. If I wish to pursue the CT series subjects courageously I have to realistically appraise my chance of passing, so I can make the best use of the time between the exams and results, since I don’t particularly like wasting time I could be using to study. I think given the amount of work I have done, and the expected amount of work I am going to do over the next 2 months, I can say at this stage I should pass the exams (unless something tragic happens).

CT5 to me appears to be on the “harder” side (although I am assured by some that it is not that hard once you start preparing for the exam). So I’m wondering if I should be going for the (easier) CT7, or maintain merit in completing the CT’s in order and take CT6, which may be somewhat harder alongside CT5.

I tend to find the written subjects a lot easier to be honest, once the literature is understood. It is a simple case of reading the exam question and communicating your response using written English language, as opposed to the trauma of computational errors, not knowing “tricks” specific to particular derivations,confusing notation/bizarre applications all compounded by time constraints slash exam pressure!

4. bystander

bystander Member

has to be your choice. But given what you say about how you're finding 5, then I'd opt to put one you find easier alongside and go with CT7.

I was one for taking a two week break post exam then getting back in. In case disaster strikes I was averse to shelling out too much money before knowing how I felt about the papers just sat.

But they say fortune favours the brave.