What are good questions to ask at the end of an interview?

Discussion in 'Careers' started by M Willis, Jun 1, 2018.

1. M Willis

M Willis Active Member

Excitingly, I have an interview coming up for a position as an actuarial trainee. However, this will be the first interview that I have ever attended, and I was wondering whether anyone has any advice?

In particular, I am aware that at the end of an interview, when they ask if you have any questions, that it is important to have a few good questions prepared (I suppose this is to demonstrate enthusiasm). Can anyone advise on what questions would look good, and what sort of things I should avoid asking?

2. bystander

bystander Member

Show you did your homework...look at the web...see if anything appeals to you and comment/question. 'I saw X .... Were your team involved/participated and what did they/you do....'.
    If there are two people interviewing and you ask a subjective question and one answers ask the other person if they feel the same. It's good to acknowledge all in the room.
    One thing you can't prepare but be mindful on what's been said in the interview....'you mentioned.....can you expand....' Shows you were listening.
    Always ask what next steps are if they don't automatically say.
    Never discuss money unless you are specifically asked and then don't be too dogmatic. It may be OK to discuss approach to study or ask how well their team did in recent exams, if you know the role comes with support.
    There aren't any rules really, but yes you must show interest in the role, company and them if they are to be your boss. If it's HR stick to company/culture rather than technical actuarial. And remember what you prepare may not be right as they may already have answered it so you need to be able to think on your feet.

3. M Willis

M Willis Active Member

Many thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

4. almost_there

almost_there Member

Why's that - it's the primary reason people work.