Visa and plan for the next 2 years

Discussion in 'Careers' started by larrythetomato, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Hello I am looking to gain some advice on how to proceed over the next 2 years, if you know about visa's and job demand I would appreciate your insight:

Currently my situation is:

Australian National, IAA (Aus Actuary Institute) student member, CT1-8 complete. In the UK on t5 youth mobility visa, ~19 months remaining.
    Have a job as an actuarial trainee in uk insurance company that is large (~5000 employees) but does not currently have a certificate of sponsorship (It appears that they will be able to get one based on the requirements if they applied).
    Looking to gain fellowship and a long-term work visa in the UK.

I was wondering what you think is the best path forward.

I am thinking that I should convert my exam progress to the UK IFoA and become a member, then try to get associateship in 1-1.5 years (This means CT9, CA1-3, 1 year work skills and professional skills course).
    Would it be likely that my company would be willing to jump through the Hoops to keep me?
    Or should I then look to gain employment in another company that has a certificate of sponsorship (and would they be willing to sponsor an actuarial associate)?

Is there other things that I have missed or another plan that you think is better?

Thanks for any help.

2. sonnyshook

sonnyshook Member

If a company is willing to hire you on visa they can get you now with what you have. Speaking from experience - I work for a company with the same headcount as yours. In the last year our department has successfully hired SIX people ranging from candidates with zero exams to those one exam from qualfying. Five of them have less exams than you. ALL of them required sponsorship. It's easier than you think.

I am somewhat concerned your company is acting timid over the matter. At my company best candidate gets the job...it doesn't matter which part of the planet they are from. Given the size of your company there are no hoops for your company to jump over...more like a baby step. Apply now to other companies. There are no loyalties lost.