Valuation rate for liabilities

Discussion in 'SP2' started by dChetty, Apr 7, 2016.

1. dChetty

dChetty Member

Why does it make sense to base valuation rate for liabilities on the investment assumptions for the assets?

2. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

We want be consistent in valuing the assets and the liabilities so that we are comparing like with like.

For example, we could value both assets and liabilities using a discounted cashflow approach using the same discount rate.

Alternatively, we could value assets using their market value. This implicitly values assets using a market-consistent interest rate. So we should also use a market-consistent interest rate to value the liabilities.

Best wishes

Mark

3. dChetty

dChetty Member

I was thinking it has something to do with the premiums we invest to pay the benefits and expenses??

4. Mark Willder

It's easier to answer this if I know the context. Can you give me a reference to the part of the course you are looking at please.

Thanks

Mark

5. dChetty

dChetty Member

I am not referring to any particular part of the course. The valuation yield for liabilities is based on the investment return for assets. How does it make sense in terms of cash flows of assets and cash flows of liabilities?

6. Mark Willder

Let's leave this one then if it's not related directly to the course materials. Setting valuation interest rates is quite a controversial topic and practice varies throughout the world. There's not space to cover every angle here. As I said above, I think the key issue to think about is consistency between asset and liability valuations. I'm not sure that saying more would help people to pass ST2. We give more detail in SA2.

Best wishes

Mark

7. dChetty

dChetty Member

No problem, I understand.