Using test statistics

Discussion in 'CT3' started by AliCat, Sep 22, 2010.

1. AliCat

AliCat Member

There's something basic I'm not getting here - hope someone can help me out!
    Say you have hypotheses H0:theta=0 and H1:theta<>0.
    You calculate the appropriate test statistic under H0 and see if it is in the critical region for the appropriate distribution at the appropriate confidence level. In this case I would look up the values of the distribution at +- 2.5% (say) to get the 5% critical region as the test is 2-sided.
    Now say H1:theta>0. I would look up the distribution at 5% as the test is 1-sided.
    My question is how does testing under H0 distinguish the case H1:theta>0 from theta<0? Ie what effect does the alternative hypothesis have apart from doubling (or halving) the % point you look up for your distribution?
    I'm sure there is a simple answer! I hope someone can explain to me...

2. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

For your 1st case where the alternative hypothesis is H1:Theta>0 you are interested in extreme positive values (Critical value = +1.6449 @ 5%), where H1:Theta<0 you are interested in extreme negative values (Critical value -1.6449 @5%). For H1:Theta=!0 you are interested in both extreme positive and negative values (Critical values +/- 1.96 @5%).