Using annual leave to study

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Little Miss Actuary, Mar 26, 2006.

1. It is just me that ends up having to use my annual leave to study?! :(

2. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

No - and sometimes I can't even get annual leave leading up to the exams (like anytime within 3 months of exam) !!!!

3. trinidad

trinidad Member

No I did the same

4. Fiasco

Fiasco Member

I used my annual leaves as well. It's a sacrifice worth making.

5. Dha

Dha Member

I just realised I'm running out of study leave. So I'll have to take 3 or 4 days at least out of my holiday leave (assuming I can get them :( ). I took a few days last session as well. I think I squandered a lot of my study leave at the start of this session by inefficient study though.

6. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

This is a well depressing thread - I wish I'd never read it. :(

I feel a bit like crying. Is it ok for a man to cry?

7. Abi

Abi Member

It definitely doesn't help when you've got a study day booked but really aren't in the mood for studying when that day comes around. I find this a problem early in the season (exams are miles away, I've got plently of time) and close to exams (can't I go out shopping?).

In the end I've decided that it's better for me to use those study days as holidays and then study over a holiday when I feel in a more productive mood.

8. Apple

Apple Member

Oh Dear

It's a shame you have to use up yet more of your life to dedicate to the exams. I would never take an annual leave to study but other people in my company do. I prefer life to work and it would feel like the biggest waste. What is life for? Even with the usual and expected shopping trips and inefficient early study days I don't think it's necessary.

Always remember that 100% isn't needed. If you are well prepared you will pass - simple as, you often only need 50% or so. I'd rather pass on a reasonable 60% than use annual leave and pass at 70%?

A colleague took a lot of annual leave and failed, what a terrible thing to happen! If you know you are taking annual leave you will slack on study days. If you know you have no annual leave you will pull your finger out. When it comes to it we all feel like we need just that extra day when the exam arrives. We always will. People will do their alloted maximum study amount however those days are made up.

9. leafy

leafy Member

I used up about 10 days of annual leave for an exam that I then didn't sit... :(

I get two study days per exam and otherwise try and study after work, on the train or using up my holiday. It can quite frankly get rather depressing at times.

10. henwood13

henwood13 Member

I guess this question really depends on how many study days you are given.

11. Goku

Goku Member

There are several ways for finding time to study outside alloted study leave.

1) Going to work early extra early to put in an hour of studying. Several of my mates do this (I can't, I try to sleep for as long as I can before waking up to go to work).

2) Those same mates mates also order their new notes 3-4 weeks (very little break) after they have written their exam and start studying for that exam, so by the time the results for the previous exam arrives, they would have completed the initial reading for the new subject (I'm a sucker for this too, I take far too long a break, about 2 months, before thinking about my next exam).

I think if we follow (1) 60-80% of the time, and follow (2) as best we can, we'll do orite...