Unit-I queries

Discussion in 'CT3' started by Bharti Singla, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Bharti Singla

Bharti Singla Senior Member

Hii all, I have following queries of unit-I
    1.) ch.4, page10
    Here the formula of mean is given on the top of the page. What is 'n' in this formula?

2.) ch. 4, sec-3 I am struggling with this whole section. I am unable to understand the various equations and formulas eg. on page 29, condition (ii) ..what is 0(h) and lambda(h) ?? from where these results has come? Can anyone summarise what does this section actually tell?

3.) Assignment X1, Qus 1.7 - in the part (i) of this qus. it is asked to derive relationship, is it asking for to derive general relation? While i am attempting this, I derived the relation for given distribution i.e. bin( 1000, 0.01). How do we know they are asking for general relationship?

4.) Assignment X1, Qus. 1.4 - here mode is calculated using differentiation.. should the mode of all other continuous distribution be calculated using this method?

5.) Q&A Bank I -
    •qus 1.6 part (i) can we use Binomial dist. here? using Binomial I got 0.9679 which is quite different from 0.94887 (using poisson)
    •qus 1.8 does the iterative formula given here a general formula..I.e. does it work for all distributions?
    • qus. 1.12 the value of lambda is given 1.62 in the solution but I found it as 1.67 where's the mistake?
    • qus 1.13 from which section this qus. is taken? I don't find this type of qus. in course notes.
    ‌Plz clarify...thankss in advance.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  2. Bharti Singla

plz anyone rply asap.

3. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The problem is that you have put 10 questions in one post. It's too much for anyone. Also you're very vague - so you say things like "but I found it as 1.67" - with no working nobody can possibly guess what the error is. Hope this helps you get a better response in the future.

4. Bharti Singla

:( I'm so sorry for that..actually I thought by doing this I will get response to many of my queries in one time. Plz rply to as much queries as possible like queries numbered 1,3,4 etc.. I will take care about posting queries in future.

5. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

See the wikipedia page here.

o(h) is defined on p29 under condition (ii). If you did ACET then o(h) is also defined in the FAC notes.
    The results are definitions hence they haven't come from any where.
    If you read the first paragraph on p28 we give a simple summary there.

I can see the confusion. I'll make this clearer for future years.

Yes.

Q1.6 No. It's not appropriate because you can have more than 1 claim per policyholder.
    Q1.8 No it's only for the Poisson.
    Q1.12 Without your working I can't tell.
    Q1.13 It's not from any section. However, a number of exam questions have been asked on this. Hence it's inclusion.

6. Bharti Singla

thankyou so much sir. :)

7. Bharti Singla

qus. 1.12 my working is:-
    P(N=1/N>1)= P(N=1)/P(N>1) = 0.4 (lambda e^-lambda)/(1-e^-lambda) = 0.4
    then using trial and error, taking lambda=1 and 2 and using linear interpolation; I got lambda = 1.676640682 which is 1.68 (to 2 decimal places)
    note: by P(N>1) above, I mean to say. P(N equal and greater than 1) as there is limited symbols in my device.

8. Bharti Singla

one more qus.
    what is the general formula for deriving iterative formula for any distributions?