Understanding CT4 and/or CT6

Discussion in 'CT4' started by Voodoo_Child, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Voodoo_Child

Voodoo_Child Member

Hi All,

So I sat CT6 yesterday and I have blatantly failed. I really felt I had a grasp on the subject until I saw the exam, and now I feel like a retard. I also sat CT4 last sitting which I annoyingly FA'd on, even though I felt it was a good paper and had passed.

When I was in 6th Form, I didn;t have a clue what chemsitry was about. I just didn;t get it. Then my parents got me a tutor and everything clicked into place and I began to understand it all and was even able to adapt my understanding to other scenarios.

What I'm trying to get at is, what can I do to be able to gain some sort of understanding that allows me to click with these subjects? I know there are people who can do these subjects, and I think its a case of
    1) Understanding/Interpreting the situation
    2) Methodical working of such situations

Do tutorials really help with such understanding? I've never been to a tutorial, so I don't know.

Does anyone with relative success or knowledge in these subjects have any input?

Thanks

2. Voodoo_Child

Voodoo_Child Member

Do any of the tutors have any suggestions???????

3. Voodoo_Child

Voodoo_Child Member

This is a rubbish forum!!!!!

4. Voodoo_Child

Voodoo_Child Member

Ignore last comment, just seen all the replies on the other one I have.

This is a class forum, but exams are poo!

5. John Potter

John Potter ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Rubbish forum

Voodoo Child,

Your original thread is one that is undoubtedly best-answered by students, hence the reason it was left. However, your second one is (arguably ;-) ) more suited for tutors. I apologise for not getting back to you sooner, this must have been annoying. :-( I'm also surprised that no student has given you their opinion on the tutorials.

My honest opinion of tutorials is that they are excellent, they help enormously. I went on one for every CT subject when I was studying the CT's and I found them to be far better than any other learning aid available. They helped me sort out the difficult topics, highlighted my complacency on what I thought were easier topics and, crucially, helped me focus my revision time on exam-style questions. I also enjoyed them and that is why I wanted to become an ActEd tutor

Now I am a tutor, so I am blatantly going to say that tutorials are excellent and you should pay to go on them. But, for what it's worth, I do think this! :)

CT4 and CT6 are both very difficult subjects and the pass rate on CT4 is low so you are being immensely hard on yourself "feeling like a retard". But, I have failed before and I know exactly how you feel - bit of a shock to start failing exams after years of being top of your class? Well, this might be another reason to come on tutorials? I took comfort in spending 1 or 2 days with students in the same position as me. There are 412 students out there who failed CT4 in April 2007 and I imagine quite a few of them feel the same as you do!

Hope this helps and sorry once again about the "rubbish forum"! ;-)
    John Potter