UK-Apr'14-Q-8-sol-17 toys censored

Discussion in 'CT4' started by deepakraomore, Feb 10, 2016.

1. deepakraomore

deepakraomore Member

It is given 17 unplugged toys were still working..he took 3 of still working toys..
    Then, there should be 17 toys censored at 10tb hour, and not 3 which he took after 3 hr.
    Or 12 at 10 hr and 3 at 13hr.
    And why it is given that 480 toys were remained.
    1) what will be credibility if I am making an assumption about how the censoring occures?

2. John Potter

John Potter ActEd Tutor Staff Member

500 toys start at 9am, time 0
    12 fail (die) at time 4, 1pm.
    17 censored at time 10, 7pm
    25 fail (die) at time 11, 8pm
    3 censored at time 13, 10pm
    8 fail (die) at time 31, 4pm next day
    Time 32 study ends with 435 toys remaining

The 480 number isn't used in the solution (because it doesn't make sense to use it) but it does follow on from the English and basic Maths of the question paragraph....

We start with 500 toys. I will tell you a story about what happened to 20 of these toys. I will now tell you what happened to the remaining 480 toys.

This makes sense in English when we consider that 500 - 20 = 480

deepakraomore - I strongly recommend the ASET, which explains this question very well for example

More generally, if there is ambiguity in the question about when censorship/death occurs, you should state your assumptions and get on with it. You will receive credit. However, I don't feel that this is the case here. Whilst the question is imaginatively worded, it's not ambiguous, I don't think. You have to be careful to read the details carefully so that we correctly capture ultimately the probability distribution of toys failing, just like a scientist would in real life if they were given the information about an experiment in this way,

Good luck!
    John