type I, II and power

Discussion in 'CT3' started by deepakraomore, Nov 20, 2014.

1. deepakraomore

deepakraomore Member

any link/doc about Type I, II error and power in detail?

2. Hemant Rupani

Hemant Rupani Senior Member

3. deepakraomore

deepakraomore Member

thanks.
    what are the formulae?

4. Hemant Rupani

Pivotal quantities

5. deepakraomore

deepakraomore Member

which pivotal quantity?

6. C2H6O

C2H6O Member

Type I error is just the significance level which is

P(reject Ho when Ho is true)

Type II error is the P(do not reject Ho when it's false) or in other words

P(reject H1 when H1 is true)

To calculate the type II error we've to assume that population parameter is equal to something.

There's always a trade-off between Type I and Type II error. If we decrease the significance level thus decreasing the Probability of Type I error then we're increasing the probability of Type II error and vice versa.

Edit: see April 08 Q9

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
  7. Hemant Rupani

Hi C2H6O,
    You said, "in other words P(reject H1 when H1 is true)"
    Its not fully correct as it is not applicable to Nondirectional alternative hypothesis.
    Because
    "Non-directional. A non-directional alternative hypothesis is not concerned with either region of rejection, but, rather, it is only concerned that null hypothesis is not true"- Wikipedia

8. deepakraomore

deepakraomore Member

in some solutions of past exams..
    P(type I)=P(H1=value | H0=value)
    and same us opposite for type II.
    Power=1-P(typeII)

9. C2H6O

C2H6O Member

I know it's not completely right but non-directional alternative hypothesis are outside the scope of CT-3. Clearly the OP is struggling with these two errors, so I was trying to give him a definition of Type II error, similar to that of a Type I error.

If I had just stated that Type II error is "P(do not reject Ho when it's false)" then it would've been no different from the definition which is given in the notes.

Maybe I should've written "speaking loosely" in front of the other definition.

10. Hemant Rupani

:) its all right!

11. C2H6O

C2H6O Member

Even the definition given in the core reading is somewhat misleading.

We never accept Ho. Either reject it OR fail to reject it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
  12. Hemant Rupani

I got! They wrote informally as the way you wanted OP to understand. :D

13. deepakraomore

deepakraomore Member

Any standard formulae for this?

14. Hemant Rupani

I don't think if there is any standard formulae for that, you ought to have practice this to find Probabilities.....
    I'd say find the problems on the internet & solve yourself.
    Try this http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FHT6e_mdGoU

15. I think "Table of error types" under "http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_I_and_type_II_errors" is not correct.
    because "Reject null hypothesis" is "positive" whereas in R1C2 of "Table of error types" it is written "Negative". In the same way R2C1 should be "Negative" because "Fail to reject null hypothesis" or "choosing the null hypothesis" is "negative".

roughly "positive = alternative, negative = null" (from the same page of wikipedia).

16. C2H6O

C2H6O Member

17. Hemant Rupani

I re-edited it to as before.......
    because, I find here,"a positive result corresponds to rejecting the null hypothesis, and a negative result corresponds to not rejecting the null hypothesis. The terms are often used interchangeably, but there are differences in detail and interpretation due to the differences between medical testing and statistical hypothesis testing."

18. C2H6O

C2H6O Member

It is still wrong. If negative means reject Null, then the table should be like this

FN TN
    FP TP

You can't have Negative and Positive in the same row because it represent the same decision!

Also, the wording of example 2 is very bad. The table in example 2 should be

FP TP
    TN FN

19. Hemant Rupani

as I posted,"The terms are often used interchangeably, but there are differences in detail and interpretation due to the differences between medical testing and statistical hypothesis testing."
    that is there is no rule to being H0 always positive/negative same for alternative.
    Now in example 2, it is good to consider positive for "letting an innocent person go free"(not rejecting H0 & in fact H0 is true.) & negative for ""convicting a guilty person"(rejecting H0 & in fact H0 is false.)

20. C2H6O

C2H6O Member

The terms are used interchangeably means that "positive result" and "negative result" are used interchangeably for reject Null and do not reject NULL. But as I said earlier "you can't have Negative and Positive in the same row coz it represent the same decision"

It should be either

FN TN
    FP TP

or

FP TP
    TN FN

if decisions are in the row and state of nature in the column.

I've already said their wording is not good.

For example if someone is tested positive for a disease that means he has that disease according to the test.

Now True Positive means he has that disease and he was tested positive(which means test result was right)

and False Positive means he didn't have that disease and he was tested positive(which means test result was not right)

See this table

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2015
  21. Hemant Rupani

In this image, they took H0:did not lie & H1:lied, True Positive will be (+ve test & H0 is not true) all is good.

now make a table for this quote.
    with decisions in the row and actual state of nature in the column.
    That's it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015