Tube strike planned during exams

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Little Miss Actuary, Mar 28, 2008.

1. 12345

12345 Member

Anyone have any ideas on how to get over to Hammersmith from East London if this goes through?

2. I've no idea, but please can you post on here when you work it out? Get as close as you can and then taxi? :confused:

3. thomasb

thomasb Member

Given that the Norwich exam centre is supposed to be no more than five minutes walk from the station, might you be better off doing the exam there and getting a train from Liverpool Street?

Just a crazy thought - I live near Chelmsford and seriously considered that rather than the Barbican last year.

4. Changing centre would solve the problem. However, on the Institute website is says....

Entry changes
    Candidates must ensure that their entry application is completed with the correct examination(s) and centre location. Changes to exam entries will not be accepted after the closing date for any reason.

:(

5. learner

learner Member

Staying in a hotel the night before an exam is an option if you do not live near the exam centre. There may be more of these near Hammersmith than the Barbican.

There are also buses across central London, but there can be bus congestion during a tube strike at peak hours.

6. thomasb

thomasb Member

I had a feeling that was the case.

I'm not doing exams this term, but if the choice is Hammersmith next time I might go to Norwich just to be safe.

7. anon2

anon2 Member

Surely the institute have to act on this - even if only to warn those students who don't read this thread.

I will be counting the empty seats!

8. asdf123

asdf123 Member

I'm not sure if the stupid tube strike is still going on, if it is... you can try taking the train.

Kensington Olympia (served by London Overground / Southern) is probably the closest rail station, but it's still abit of a walk. You can check out the route / travelling time etc on http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/

They should ban tube strikes :mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2008
  9. There is now a note on the institute website:

http://www.actuaries.org.uk/Display_Page.cgi?url=/news/tubestrike.html

10. anon2

anon2 Member

Tube Strike Cancelled

Luckily for us, it's been cancelled.

Bloody RMT - sack them all.

11. Schnorbitz

Schnorbitz Member