Total Return Swap

Discussion in 'SP5' started by Alpha9, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Alpha9

Alpha9 Member

See the example in the course notes given on page 16 of Chapter 3.

Can anyone explain this? I can't work it out at all.

Investor A buys risky bond B (let's say at £80 for £100 nominal), then pays the coupons to Bank C in return for LIBOR + 2% (on what principal? - would surely be less than £80 assuming risk-free, so let's say it's risky and the principal is £80), and at maturity (assuming bond B doesn't default) pays the capital gain - effectively £100 less purchase price, so £20. So, net, he gets his purchase price back.

So he could instead have invested his £80 in a (risky) investment that paid LIBOR + 2%, and got his £80 back at the end (assuming this alternative risky investment didn't default).

I think I've assumed that overall the value is zero initially: each (risky) investment was worth £80 at outset.

However:

We are told that, on default of bond B, Investor A receives a net (£100 less recovery).

I can't see how this relates at all to the total return on the alternative investment (LIBOR + 2% plus £80 principal, assuming it doesn't default, or whatever if it does).

Can anyone tell me which point (or points, or whole principles!) I am missing?!

Thanks!

2. Alpha9

Alpha9 Member

Answering my own question...

Further reading suggests that the payment to A on default of bond B should still be the LIBOR + 2% until the end of the contract (which isn't necessarily the maturity date of bond B - it could be before maturity), then the return of the market price of the bond B at outset (rather than the face value), while A pays to C whatever is recovered from B when it's recovered.

So I think the reading is wrong here (or I have fundamentally misinterpreted it).

And, the more I look at it, the margin above LIBOR must reflect the credit risk of dealing with bank C (which is what I think I was assuming).

Any comments, anyone?