Topical Topics...Subprime

Discussion in 'SP5' started by Gareth, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Gareth

Gareth Member

Anyone think subprime might be a hot topic for the exam? Or would the paper have been written before this happened?

2. Erik

Erik Member

Hi Gareth,

As far as I know both April and September papers are set at the beginning of each year. So I don't think it would come up as a question, but as the reports aren't finalised until after the exam, I would say it could come up as an example if the question lends itself to it.

Good luck!

3. I know there was a financial services regulation Q on the last paper (which I FA'ed) so I'm not sure if this makes the examiner a particular fan, or whether he's already happy to have covered it in one 'diet' (don't you hate that?) this year.

With all the debate over the last few days over the adequacy of the banking regs for depositors there would have been tons we could have put down (obviously without harping on too much about the one particular example- but the general principles have all been there in the press.)

As an aside, there always seems to be a narky comment from the Examiners about candidates 'demonstrating a disappointing lack of "Real World" financial awareness'. However, the questions are often so contrived/ made up, and we're always worried about being too UK specific.....grrr....can't win. I hate exams!