Topic 8 pg 35 Chp.5

Discussion in 'CT4' started by Amit_Bansal, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Amit_Bansal

Amit_Bansal Member

In the formula stated on this page for expected time to reach another state from one state. I have a doubt as follows:-

What does ''j=/i,k'', written under Sigma sign, interpret? Whether it means summing over all values of j except i and k; or it means except i only.

Thanks.

2. Hemant Rupani

Hemant Rupani Senior Member

It means summing over all values of j except i and k.

3. Amit_Bansal

Amit_Bansal Member

As far as i understood the concept, i have some more doubts arising now.

1. As in example on pg35 part(iii), "Expected Future Lifetime of a healthy life" can also be interpreted as "Expected time to reach state D starting from state H". Am i right? If no, then please explain why the same formula is applied here.

2. If i'm right in point 1, then as Hemant interpreted in reply#2 in this thread, why the term "2/7*mS" is taken while computing "mH"? Since we'll sum over all states except healthy and dead.

Any other brainstorming answers will also be appreciated.

Thanks.

4. Hemant Rupani

1. You're right!
    2. 2/7 is the probability to get in Sickness state, and \(m_s \) is the expected future lifetime of a sick life.

5. Amit_Bansal

Amit_Bansal Member

I'm so sorry that i made a silly mistake in my earlier query. Instead of writting "mD" i posted "mS".
    Please reconsider point2 in earlier reply with "respective transition probability * mD" and answer.

Thanks a millions.

6. Hemant Rupani

In notes they applied core principles without mentioning formula and showed \(m_D=0 \)

As per formula we don't take \(m_D \)
    As per core reading expected lifetime of \(m_D \) is \(m_D=0 \)
    Even, intuitively, we know expected time to reach state D from state D is zero.