too tired

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by i-actuary, Sep 6, 2020.

1. i-actuary

i-actuary Member

after 6 years of exams and 3 failures by 1-3 points i am at a point where i am trying really hard to study for the last 2 exams. cannot find the courage and the extra energy to study for these.
    really messed up.

2. CY Actuary

CY Actuary Member

I feel you. I am at a similar position but I have three left.

I think that in these final ones the marking is so subjective and they can do anything they want with pass marks and pass rates that you have to be a bit lucky as well to pass. In both the ones I failed by 1-2 marks I have asked for the mark breakdown and the two markers had a difference of about 10 marks between them, which resulted with one mark above pass and one below but their average was always just slightly below the pass mark.

Have you ever requested your mark breakdown?

3. laura_mils

laura_mils Member

don't give up, just set yourself short goals. Like to do a past paper on a study day and then set yourself another target for the next...
    Most of us will feel like this, I am on one left too (CM2...) and have had similar situation with the markers being more than 10 marks apart.
    It's certainly disheartening to not quite get the results we want, but you're almost there and have shown you're more than capable by passing the other 12+!
    Just keep going, work as hard as you can, and look forward to the relax you know is coming after them!
    Good luck

4. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Sorry to hear this - these exams are definitely difficult. All I can say is that the rewards (both financial and also in the sense of huge achievement) are, in my opinion, worth all the hard work.

Be pragmatic and set yourself a study plan. What exams are you sitting this session?

In terms of knowledge: break the subject(s) down by chapter - what ones do you feel comfortable with? What ones are you less sure of? Take the time to work through the parts of the course you find most challenging.

In terms of answering questions: look at the number of marks on offer, look at the question scenario - is it a large/small company, is it a developing country? - these seemingly small details will help you construct your answer. Look at the instruction word so that you know how much detail to go in to. Practice exam timing and be disciplined with timing in the exam - writing 4 very good points for a 4 mark explain question is will score the same as writing 16 points! Write enough for the question and then move on.

If you're able to share subjects you're studying/what aspects of exam prep are particularly difficult then we can help more.

The struggle is real with these exams, we've all been there - you're so close to the finish now line though. Good luck :D

5. i-actuary

i-actuary Member

thank you for this.
    i am sitting only for sp5 this time. there was no time to resit for sa2 as well.

6. Roy672

Roy672 Member

This is really understandable. These exams are tough and can really get you down but I've no doubt it'll all be worth it in the end!

I'm also sitting SP5 this time and any tips would be really appreciated.