To those who passed ST9

Discussion in 'SP9' started by teddybear2012, Jul 13, 2012.

1. teddybear2012

teddybear2012 Member

congratulations! At the same time, any suggestions/tips on how to be well prepared for this exam? Thanks in advance!

2. Avi0013

Avi0013 Member

Lots and lots and lots of study :D In all seriousness, if you are coming from the US exam system, the questions are of a different format; there are fewer questions that may span less breadth of material but that require a somewhat more holistic knowledge of how different elements work together as opposed to understanding disparate elements well on their own.

3. teddybear2012

teddybear2012 Member

thanks for reply

Do you think that some extra readings would be helpful? If so, any suggestion of related materials? Thanks

4. actnewbie

actnewbie Member

Personally I think the required reading are enough. and they are being examined. I passed the April 12 exam. But don't think studying lots will help with this specified exam. The questions asked are quite generic and most people can have a decent attempt.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2012
  5. Avi0013

Avi0013 Member

We each have our own methods; I know that if I didn't spend the many hours of study that I did, I would not have passed the April 12 exam.

6. Jaded

Jaded Member

Re additional material, try Googling and downloading "Managing Economic Capital: Beyond Basel ll", a paper by KPMG. I found it useful and interesting. Read it after you've been through the course. Best of luck.

[ActEd] try here

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2012
  7. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

In our Study Guide we suggest:

Integrated Risk Management: Techniques and Strategies for Reducing Risk – Neil A. Doherty
    ISBN 978-0071358613

Risk Management – Crouhy, Galai and Mark
    ISBN 978-0071357319
    (Note: the regulatory information in this edition is out-of-date. The text is being updated and a new edition will be published in 2012)

The Essentials of Risk Management – Crouhy, Galai and Mark
    ISBN 978-0071429665

Simple Tools and Techniques for Enterprise Risk Management – Robert J Chapman.
    Wiley, 2006. ISBN: 0-470-01466-0

Quantitative Risk Management: Concepts, Techniques and Tools – McNeil, Frey & Embrechts.
    Princeton University Press, 2005. ISBN: 0-691-12255-5

The latter two texts were previously (but no longer) required reading for Subject ST9.

You could also try the UK Corporate Governance Code, HM Treasury's Enterprise Risk Management Guide,....

Sorry, you did ask!