To be or not to be??

Discussion in 'Careers' started by Dimitri, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Dimitri

Dimitri Member

Hi People,

Ive got a bit of a dilemma, maybe some of you can help me out. I just graduated last month with a Mathematics degree and unfortunately missed a 2.1 !! It's not the end of the world but are my chances of joining any actuary/insurance related firm shattered?

I would think that many employers may see my grade as an inability to pass any of the exams - obviously i disagree.

Shall i not waste my time with actuary?
    Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Any opinions would be aprreciated

Cheers
    Dimitri

2. Calum

Calum Member

It's not the end of the world, but it will close some doors to you. I would concentrate on word-of-mouth opportunities and attempting to make direct contact with employers, as going through the recruitment schemes will probably see you weeded out early on due to sheer numbers.

It goes without saying you need a pretty convincing explanation of why you think a 2:2 is not a fair reflection of your ability ;)

3. sonnyshook

sonnyshook Member

A really good masters in mathematics, finance mathematics or maybe actuarial science with distinction* from a good university. Don't waste time ....you are young. I know a couple of people who did this who are doing pretty well.

4. Dimitri

Dimitri Member

Do you think I should study independently for CT exams, afterall I am a maths grad, but would employers still have an issue even if I pass them?
    I also have very brief experience in a claims management co. - not the best of experiences but I think it may help.

I suppose I'm afraid of not seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

5. CT5_Student

CT5_Student Member

I had a friend who was in your position... Mathematics grad with poor grades and loads of fails. He studied the CT subjects by himself and passed all of them within a year and got in at a well known general insurer straight away. And here i am still trying to pass them after all these years :/

6. bystander

bystander Member

Yes it will be harder to get yourself on the interview list but if you want it badly enough..... What other things are on the CV? Employers look for work experience (not necessarily relevant), signs of ability to lead, be a team player (eg have you played sport at uni level, or been a captain).

Then in the interview yes they will qn why 2.2.

What were your A level grades? If brill get these on the CV too rather thanb just the number.

And yes I do thing self study would be a v good option

7. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

Agree with bystander to take the self study route but you need to study damm hard from the outset and ensure a pass or else it will be a complete waste of time as it all comes down to the exam. It's going to be pretty hard for an employer to deny a graduate with many exam passes, good communication skills and a heap of extra curricular activities. Also a BS (but plausible) explanation of why you got a 2:2 would be helpful (if questioned).