Tips to clear CT6

Discussion in 'CT6' started by thaikashaikh, Jul 15, 2015.

1. thaikashaikh

thaikashaikh Member

I passed the CT3 exam last diet and I have registered for CT6, wish to understand if forum members and tutors could share a strategy which I could adopt and how difficult is CT6 in comparison to CT3.

Also in terms of difficulty in the CT series where would you place CT6

Is there any chapter which stands out in terms of difficulty and how to manoeuvre them.

Posts appreciated. Thanks

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

in terms of average pass rates, CT6 is among the hardest (beaten by CT4 for difficulty).

It varies between students - some find the Bayesian estimation hard, those with poor integration suffer in reinsurance. But typically GLMs and time series usually are commonly considered the hardest.

CT6 certainly has a number of "oddball" questions in the exams and so I've found that it favours the sloggers, as those students who practice the standard questions can get all the marks quickly and then have more time for the unusual questions.

Also be aware that the syllabus for CT6 is among the largest for the CTs and so it takes longer for certain questions to come up. So go further back in your past papers.

I do recommend the flashcards for succinct summaries of what's important. And I think the online classroom is great (or tutorials) - but I am completely biased, so would be nice to hear from other students what they have found helpful.

3. jfitz

jfitz Member

Flashcards and question practice

CT6 has mountains of formulas and processes.

I found the key was using the flashcards to pick out the really crucial stuff and then lots of practice on the numerical questions (chain ladder etc).

4. thaikashaikh

thaikashaikh Member

Thank you

Thanks for your replies to my post looking forward to hear from other members... cheers...

5. I really struggled with ct6, got it on my third attempt! Was very close to giving it up altogether as I passed all the other cts and ca1. But I ended up taking it with my first attempt at st4 and managed to pass both.

I'd say if you for ct3 easy you're already at an advantage! Loads of question practice and go through the notes carefully. My work won't pay for us to go on tutorials but it think they would be helpful in this subject.

I did actually use YouTube to find some helpful videos for understanding glms in particular.

Good luck!

6. antzlck

antzlck Member

I passed CT6 this session just gone. The online classroom was my main source for learning/revising/answering questions on the material. It's fantastic. I think it also helped that I work in GI and found the course interesting. Having said that, I came out the exam thinking I hadn't passed! The pass rate this session just gone was very low.