Tips for retakers

Discussion in 'SP4' started by Helen Chivers, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Helen Chivers

Helen Chivers Member

Hi all
    I have taken SP4 a few times but am yet to pass. April’s sitting was my best yet with a mark of 61 (which I think should have been a pass but that’s another issue). Having gone through a lot of sittings making sure I know the bookwork and doing lots of past papers, I’m now in a position where I’m struggling to see the best way forward.
    I have done the tutorials in the past and found them very helpful, but I don’t feel that they will add anything for me now. I will be doing the mock and getting it marked, and possibly also doing the extra mocks.
    I’m looking for tips/advice from students and/or tutors as to anything else I can do to ensure September is the last time I sit this exam. Any replies will be much appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Helen

2. Roy672

Roy672 Member

My approach to sitting SP4 in April was probably the most thorough I’ve been for any of the exams and it paid off. Basically I went through every question from about 2005 as well as the questions at the end of chapters and in the X assignments. I asked myself with each question “How could I summarise what this question is asking in one line?”. For example if there was a long discuss question on DB vs DC design that would be summarised as “Advantages/Disadvantages of DB/DC”. I then adjusted the solution to be a bit more generic so I could use it for any scenario (with some tailoring). By doing this, I ended up with 100s of lists of possible questions/solutions that were succinct and generic. In the exam, I found I had a list for almost every question, meaning I could get the main points down quickly and just needed to tailor a bit. It paid off very well this time because I was well over the pass mark so I would recommend this method. It does take ages but once you’ve been through every question, there’s really not much they can ask that you won’t have seen before. Sometimes also adding something like “Given the scheme is small/large/open/closed/mature…” beside each point you make will show the examiner you’re considering the specifics of the question. That’s what I did anyway. Hope this helps!

3. Helen Chivers

Helen Chivers Member

Thank you, that's really helpful! It seems like a really good idea to have general lists for everything that can then be tailored; I did that for the April sitting but certainly not as much as you, so I think adding your suggestion in will help push me over the pass mark.

Roy672 likes this.
  4. mulita

mulita Member

me too.. sat 4 times, but unlike you my mark has been going down from 58 now had 45 in the last attempt in April. So drained. I also appreciate any help now - I guess what remains a lot is how I tackle the questions. This time I am waiting to attend block tutorial, maybe it could help

5. Helen Chivers

Helen Chivers Member

I found the tutorials really helpful, so I hope they also help you. I'd recommend making a list of general questions you have and any topics you want to go over, so that you can ask the tutor for advice on those.

6. mulita

mulita Member

thanks - will prepare accordingly.

7. Gresham Arnold

Gresham Arnold ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Helen, one additional thought to add to this discussion: Do you know anyone else who is sitting SP4 this session? If so, I recommend forming a study group with them and meeting weekly (even if virtually). Perhaps take a different topic each week and tackle actual past exam questions under exam conditions and then mark each other’s scripts using the Examiners Reports and / or ASET. Most students find it very valuable to do this, in particular to see scripts from the perspective of a marker. Meeting regularly also really helps with motivation in these final few weeks before the exam.

Best wishes
    Gresham

Bharti Singla likes this.
  8. Helen Chivers

Helen Chivers Member

Thank you Gresham, that's a helpful suggestion. I'll ask around to see if anyone I know is doing it and would like to form a study group.