Tips for CT2 this autumn

Discussion in 'CT2' started by Tele76, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Tele76

Tele76 Member

Despite feeling like I knew the subject pretty well I failed the April CT2 sitting disastrously (an FB). I wrote a lot but looking at the examiners report I guess I missed the point on some of the questions. Also I felt that the questions were a bit obscure or required much more detail than was in the course notes.

There was no nice easy 20pt balance sheet or discounted cashflow question -like the ones I'd practiced from the past papers.

(I am more Maths oriented and written exams make me nervous).

So, I was wondering what I should do to best prepare for the retake in October.
    Are the revision notes worthwile?
    Or is there any additional material I should read?
    More past papers?

2. High91

High91 Member

More past papers accompanied with a thorough revision of CMP... I think:)

3. tiger

tiger Member

If you have time (check the submission dates), a mock exam might provide useful feedback.

4. Missannuity

Missannuity Member

I'm in the same boat - got an FB last October. I know how you feel - I dread the wordy papers but love the maths ones. I recently did a mock for CT2 and had it marked, and it was definitely worthwhile - even though I used the notes, it was good to get feedback on my answers, and where I could pick up more marks etc. It's also interesting to see what doesn't get you marks!

5. bystander

bystander Member

I say mocks are best done without aid and under time pressure. Yes your mark may suffer but its the best simulation there is.

And by the way, FB isn't a disaster - disappointing yes but remember the worst grade is FD.

Practise the qns you find hardest ie the wordy ones. Look at reports and see how snetences are constructed ie they tend to be succinct and key words leap out.

Look at thinks like layout too.

All these things are technique so that your skill shines easily from the exam script.

Practise rereading and rereading qns then plan the answer more... key things first.

Hopefully your script will then be structured helping clarify thoughts and avoid repetition and other padding that makes it appear you are scattergunning

6. Tele76

Tele76 Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't feel like I understand the material any better/worse this time, but I've practiced more questions. Even just reading though the examiners' report seems to help a bit.

Incidentally, I noticed that the long balance sheet type question hasn't come up for a while. Could this be because the examiners have exhausted all variations on this question and the marks would be too easy,?, .....

7. bystander

bystander Member

Don't discvount it coming up. They may askl one and also test analysis of the rsults of one.