Tips for content in exams

Discussion in 'CP3' started by mgh, Apr 11, 2022.

1. mgh

mgh Active Member

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for the CP3 paper which help to cover more of the points on the "Content" section of the mark schemes. I appreciate there won't be a single correct answer and every paper is different, but if anyone has any tips or tricks that'd be appreciated!

Also just to confirm all we need to upload to the platform is the communication piece? There is no need to provide anything around the planning stage?

Many thanks

2. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi mgh,

Hard to give any definitive responses because, as you say, every paper is different. So, I'm not sure if the below 'hits the spot' but maybe these will get the ball rolling!

My 'rules of thumb' (i.e. they rightly sometimes need to get broken, depending on the actual context) include:
    • In the communications exam I have noticed that my responses tend to each have a 'main body' (i.e. excluding the introductory & ending sections, or executive summary) containing 3 sections. If I end up with a different number of sections in my storyboard then I make sure I can justify that clearly to myself before proceeding.
    • I read the questions first, before reading any of the other additional information in the question paper. This means that when I do read the additional information I can very quickly start thinking about what is NOT relevant to 'the why', and so filter out some of the unnecessary complexity which might otherwise distract / bother / confuse me.
    • Unless otherwise instructed in the question paper, I always try & include at least 1 graph or table (sometimes more). I never simply 'cut and paste' that from the advance scenario material or exam paper, as I expect to 'add value'.
    I'm interested in hearing others' ideas on this theme - keeping in mind that 'every paper is different', and 'the past doesn't necessarily imply the future'!

Best wishes

David

3. mgh

mgh Active Member

Hi David

That is great, thank you very much! Hard to gauge anything in advance as you say but very helpful to read.

Just wanted to confirm the point around all we need to upload is the answer to the question 1/2? There isn't a need to upload anything to do with the planning stages?

Thanks again

4. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

that's correct, mgh.

Ian

5. Kanishka

Kanishka Active Member

Do we also need to show the calculations to show how we arrived at a value used in the graph or in the content. I think something regarding it was mentioned in the guidelines but just want to confirm?
    Also do we need to follow any specific font and font size and line spacing?

Thank you

6. mgh

mgh Active Member

Thank you