Tippex

Discussion in 'CA3' started by Snowy, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Snowy

Snowy Member

Is using tippex frowned upon in this sort of exam?
    Usually I would avoid using it, but given that this is essay-type writing, do the examiners mind too much tippex?

Thanks

2. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Use Tippex sparingly

Having marked CA3 scripts I know that the examiners would rather you didn't use Tippex too much. You should be particularly careful if you write on top of Tippex as it can become illegible or crack away. The examiners won't guess if they can't read something!!

3. bystander

bystander Member

I'd say don't use it in any exam. Its time consuming and waiting for it to dry may mean you actually forget the correction.

If you're worried why not leave more white space so that if corrections are needed you have the room without risking illegibility? Don't scribble over mistakes - a single line will suffice

4. mseng

mseng Member

So, if we are not to use tippex, what is examiners' and tutors' advice on how to correct any mistakes? (Mistakes might inlcude deleting a single word or a whole sentence.)

Will a line over mistakes suffice? If this is the case, then what about the syllabus objective which states that "...the drafts would be acceptable as final documents without major changes or rewritting..."?

Also, what if the mistake occurs when drafting a slide? How can we correct it without using tippex, but still having a slide ready to be used for a presentation?

Thanks.

5. bystander

bystander Member

You are taking it too literally. Effectively its a draft which you would be expected to type up properly once approval is gained.

Just a single line through the change is fine

If you leave lots of white space then it will still look neat. For example if yopu leave a line between each line of writing and you later spot an error, you can then delete the error, use the insertion sign ^ and write your correction neatly on the blank line.

Much harder with whole paras so the motto there is think before you write.

6. mseng

mseng Member

I got your advice after sitting the exam, but anyway thanks for the reply.