Time Series

Discussion in 'CT6' started by Jay S, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Jay S

Jay S Member

I'm finding the time series stuff in chapter 12 and 13 quite maths heavy (though interesting) and seems like there's a lot of needless theory which I cannot see being tested. But as most of it is part of the Core Reading I feel I should at least understand it, if not be able to reproduce it. Is anyone else in this situation?

I was wondering what kind of questions tend to come up on this topic in exams? I have seen a couple of past papers where the questions don't seem to delve into the theory too much...but would like some insight from somebody more well-versed with the past papers.

Also, does it seem to anybody else that the time series stuff is very odd and unlinked to the rest of CT6? The rest is quite heavily GI based but this part seems to be more general and 'pure'. I think it may have been better suited to CT4 where they explore stochastic processes in detail.

Thanks!

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The history is that it used to be in 103 (which is now CT4) then got moved to CT6. Personally I would use time series in CT8 for financial predictions.

Anyway I digress. If you look at exams the key thing is being able to tell if a time is stationary and/or invertible and then to calculate its ACF and PACF.