Time Series definition question

Discussion in 'CT6' started by Ex-muso, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Ex-muso

Ex-muso Member

Hi

Purely indeterministic (PI) is defined in the CH12 summary as meaning that knowledge of earlier values of X is progressively less useful at predicting the value of X(subscript N) as N tends to infinity.

I don't currently see how this fits with the white noise definition and the given fact that white noise is purely indeterministic.

Isn't it the case that for white noise knowledge of earlier values of X is equally "useful" (ie not useful at all), regardless of how large N becomes?

If that's right, should the PI definition read "progressively less useful, or no more useful". Or something like that.

Far more likely is that I've missed something - please help!

2. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Purely indeterministic basically means that Cov(Xt, Xt+k) gets smaller as the lag k gets bigger.

In a trivial case, let's consider an MA(1): Xt=et+et-1.

Cov(Xt,Xt)=2(sigma squared)
    Cov(Xt, Xt-1)=sigma squared
    Cov(Xt, Xt-2)=0 (and in fact the covariance will always be 0 for lags greater than 1)

So you can see, as the lag inreased, the covariance decreased.

In the most extreme trivial case, let's consider Xt=et. (So we're only worrying about one term of white noise, as you do in your question.)

Cov(Xt,Xt)=sigma squared
    Cov(Xt, Xt-1)=0

So again, the covariance has decreased as the lag increased from 0 to 1.

3. supriyo23

supriyo23 Member

Dear Catherine
    can u please explain question 4.13 of ct 6 Q&A

4. supriyo23

supriyo23 Member

My question is why is it ar (2) and ma(0)

5. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The question does not ask you to find that. Indeed it would not be possible without a plot of he PACF.