Time Crisis

Discussion in 'CT6' started by Goku, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Goku

Goku Member

:cool:

Hi everyone,

I've just finished with Ch2 of the notes and thus far its quite interesting. However, this is quite slow despite the fact it's my first board-exam I'm doing on my own. Any advice on getting through the rest of the stuff effeciently and effectively?

Thanks!!

2. Gareth

Gareth Member

only one suggestion work more hours per week on it...i.e. evenings, lunchtimes and weekends until you are back on schedule.

3. Goku

Goku Member

Thanks, but work?

:)
    Thanks Gareth but might I add that during the day I'm at work which, needless to say,is soooo hectic and tiring! I'm also a gym-a-holic and also do other stuff to relax myself such as playing with my classical Indian drum (mrdhangam) and playing songs on my Yamaha Keyboard...Consequently, I came up with the following:

- Get up at 5am everyday and learn for 45min...thereafter leave for work at 6:45am. Come back home at 5:30pm and work-out till 6:30pm...get back home and have supper
    - Thereafter play some music or("mutually exclusive" or ) watch Survivor/FIFA World Cup/National Geographic/relax...thereafter do 2 study sessions, each for about 30min.

What do you guys think??

4. Gareth

Gareth Member

well, sad as it seems, you have to give up hobbies if you want to pass exams under time pressure. that's my experience anyway, i love playing guitar, but have not had time for it since starting this.

5. Goku

Goku Member

Not a chance!

Thanks Gareth!
    I can understand your anguish at not being able to play your guitar as much as you would like! I'll do my best though to maintain my lifestyle as it is...infact, if I don't, I will not study and focus well due to their being SOOOO much of pressure...surely, even you have to admit that us actuarial students are clever enough to make time in the day for other stuff :)

6. Cymro Card

Cymro Card Member

Does your company give you any study time? I found that this made up the majority of my study during the CT exams (unless your my manager asking, in which case I do 2 hours a day at home! ;) )

Your plan my work... if you can do early starts. Or you'll just burn out - you really need to be honest with yourself.

One other option is to hit the gym at lunchtime - that'll free up an hour's study.

But Gareth is right - sacrifices have to be made... I'd start with that garbage you watch! :D

7. Goku

Goku Member

8 working days

Well I do get study time...it's 8 working-days for each CT Subject. So hopefully I can use that time to grind in some past papers and do some revising in that time.

On a lighter note, I love watching that "garbage". Come on, we all have a child in us and it always provides a good form of escapism!!
    :D

8. kanch

kanch Member

I am not surprised you have only managed to finish 2 chapters. I agree with Gareth you got to sacrifice if you wanna get through these exams.
    I suggest you try to do atleast two hours in the morning (may be wake up around 4am!) which will be more productive than trying to study in the night when you are naccard!
    Also what i use to do is work on questions/assignments during night and study a new chapters in the morning. So far successful.

All the best

Hope this is any help

Cheers

9. Da Mactuary

Da Mactuary Member

Goku

Are you South Indian?

10. Goku

Goku Member

Yes

Yes bro! I am South Indian, Tamil. I'm South African really as I was born in the former. You?? :)

11. Da Mactuary

Da Mactuary Member

I am of North Indian origin but I have nothing but the greatest respect for South Indian culture etc. I am fascinated by it to be honest.

Some of the greatest saints and thinkers come from there (Ramanujaacharya, Shankarachrya, Madhava etc etc).

They have kept the culture etc alive. So do you play traditonal South Indian Mridhangam?

12. deven

deven Member

With ur schedule, giving a good shot at CT6 in September seems very unlikely.

Although I am also on Chp 2, I ensure to squeeze at least 2 hours of study time everyday during the week and about 4 or more on Saturdays. Going at this rate I think I might just make it to September 5th. Being a regular at the gym and also a few drinks out in he evening, getting 2 hours is a challenge and calls for many sacrifices, but we cant complain since it was our decision to get into the profession. Also working in Consulting I believe I have a much heavier workload than my Life and Non-Life counterparts (I know many will disagree on this).

On the other hand I hope you enjoy Actuarial exams. I think the key lies here. Take it as a challenge and every Pass a fulfillment. When the time comes to add FIA/FFA along with your name, I hope it was worth all the sacrifices we made.

Good luck with the exam.

Ps. I am of Indian origin too and Love South Indian food.

13. Goku

Goku Member

Consider this

Hey Da Mactuary,

I'm glad to hear that you appreciate the South Indian Culture and way of life hey! I'm not an orthodox South Indian, but definitely participate in all of the main festivals such as Kavady, Partasi(although that'll be harder to observe now that I've moved up to Josies) and many more. The food rocks also, but so do the North Indian dishes especially the paneer and rotis :)

I play the mridhangam as well. Thumbi(means small bro in tamil) plays the tabla. Mrdhangam is a joy to hear when played properly, which is the reason there are sooo few mrdhangists around nowadays; its a very stubborn instrument, and requires an extraordinary amount of practise to bring out its beautiful sound. Why I try my best to practise atleast once every 2-3 days is because the technique and strength rapidly depreciates when you don't practise on it for more than 3-4days.

More on the northern side of things, I enjoy listening to qawali's and Hindi traditional music, especially one of my all time favourites Zakir Hussain( and not forgetting his dad Alla Rakha Khan). I enjoyed the music especially in Taal as well( and the actress weren't that bad hey:))

Hey Deven,

Thanks for those words bro; really appreciate them...but you and all else who have responded forgot to ask why I'm studying so slow; no offence, but your'll just jump to conclusions. Anyway, from today its gonna be sorted out; I know exactly what to do...didn't get a "summa cum laude" in Business Science Actuarial Science for nothing ;)