Third degree price discrimination output of goods

Discussion in 'CT7' started by Jinnentonix, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Jinnentonix

Jinnentonix Member

Hi there
    I was studying third degree price discrimination and encountered an issue which I can't seem to get my head around.
    On page 283 of the textbook (which contains the example of how third degree price discrimination operates), it says that:

"Because the demand curves are linear, the total output sold is the same under third-degree price discrimination as it is under uniform pricing: i.e. Q*=Qh+Ql."

What is the relevance of the demand curves being linear in the above statement? What would happen if one or both demand curves were not?
    Thanks for any help!

2. Jinnentonix

Jinnentonix Member

Furthermore, I tried testing this out with real numbers and it didn't work.
    I set Qh = 12 - 0.5P and Ql = 8 - 2P
    Therefore MRh = 12 - P and MRl = 8 - 4P

I then set MC = 2

If the firm can price discriminate:
    Firm maxes profits re H where MRh = MC
    12 - P = 2
    P = 10
    Qh = 12 - 0.5(10) = 7

Firm maxes profits re L where MRl = MC
    8 - 4P = 2
    P = 1.5
    Ql = 8 - 2(1.5) = 5

If the firm can't price discriminate:
    Q*= Qh + Ql (P =< 4 because we can't have Ql < 0)
    = (12 - 0.5P) + (8 - 2P) = 20 - 2.5P
    => MR* = 20 - 5P

Firm maxes profits where MR* = MC
    20 - 5P = 2
    P = 3.6
    Q* = 20 - 2.5(3.6) = 11

But Qh + Ql = 12
    12 <> 11 ???

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2017
  3. freddie

freddie Member

Hi

If the demand curves are linear, there is a simple relationship between the demand curves and the MR curves, ie the MR curves are twice as steep, so the effect of a change in the MC will have a simple and predictable effect on the quantities demanded. For example, if every decrease in price by £1 led to an increase in demand in Market X of 2 units and in Market Y of 3 units, it would lead to an increase in the total demand by 5 units; also a decrease in MC by £1 would lead to an increase in the profit-maximising level of output of 1 unit in Market X, 1.5 units in Market Y and 2.5 units in the total market.

In your example, you need to rewrite the demand function as a function of Q, so that you can work out the MR function (which is the derivative of TR wrt Q).

So you had Qh = 12-0.5P and Ql = 8-2P.
    Rewrite as P=24-2Q and P=4-0.5Q
    Then TR = 24Q-2Q^2 and TR = 4Q-0.5Q^2
    So MRh =24-4Q and MRl=4-Q

In this case, there is a problem in that the low-priced customers aren't interested until the price falls below 4, but the MR of the high-priced group alone is negative by that point, and bringing in the low-priced market isn't going to shift it back into positive, so I don't think this example will work.

However you might want to try this one, which was on a specimen exam paper:
    Qx = 11-P and Qy=12.5-0.5P.
    The MC = 5.

Good luck!

Jinnentonix likes this.
  4. Jinnentonix

Jinnentonix Member

Thanks freddie! I think my error was that I took the MR curve as simply twice the slope of the demand curve without going through the motions of multiplying out. Thumbs up from me!