Theoretical Proofs

Discussion in 'CT3' started by High91, Nov 11, 2012.

1. High91

High91 Member

To what extent is theoretical proofs like poisson process, Compound distributions, E[V] + var[E] result, etc important for exams? Do we have exam questions asking for such proofs..??:(

2. freddie

freddie Member

I think you should be prepared for proofs that can be done fairly easily, eg in no more than half a page! For example: the waiting time until the first Poisson event is exponential; MGF of S where S is sum of Xi (i = 1 to N); E(Y) = E[E(Y/X)].

3. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Drop me an email and I'll send you the list of CT3 proofs with an indication of their likelihood (based on past papers!)

4. nick.campbell

nick.campbell Member

make sure you know E[E[Y|X]] = E[Y] and E = E[X]E[N]

5. High91

High91 Member

Results of those proofs I am very well aware of. I am asking whether the derivations to those results are important for exams.

Thanks all.

6. nick.campbell

nick.campbell Member

i meant, make sure you know the proofs!

7. High91

High91 Member

Again I am asking, nick, what are you talking about? Only the results or results along with their derivations?

Thanks.:)

8. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Yes and Nick is correct - the chapter 7 derivations are the most asked for in the UK CT3 exam.

9. bystander

bystander Member

Worth learning as if you know them, they are very easy to reproduce if the question crops up. These 'easy' marks can really help give you time to think on other questions.

The sad bit is no guarantee you will get that qn!