The right balance between algebra and calculator

Discussion in 'CT1' started by Marco LG, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Marco LG

Marco LG Member

I'm doing my revision and I can't help being too slow with the excercises. I know I should aim at 1.8 mins per point and I simply cannot make it!

My strategy so far has been to do as much algebra as possible and leave the calculator to the end, but clearly this doesn't work. I'm now trying to find the right balance between algebra and calculator. I also don't have the tables yet (they are on their way), which I understand could also help speeding up.

Any advice, idea, comment or just some sympathy on the topic?

2. Gareth

Gareth Member

if you just show an answer without sufficient working, you will lose marks in the exam, even if the answer is right.

show enough working to get to the answer with a reasonable amount of computation. plus bear in mind you are likely to make a mistake in the exam, so the algebra is what will save you and allow you to get some points still.

timing is tricky, but more practise will make you quicker...so keep at it.

3. Marco LG

Marco LG Member

Exam strategies

Hi Gareth,

My speed is indeed increasing with practice, still not quick enough though! :)

Showing enough working shouldn't be too much of a problem, what bothers me is the timing. So I wonder: how many chances would I have if I don't complete ANY computation? It is of course a worst case scenario, but assume for a moment I write down all the formulas and do all the algebra around them, only when it comes to use the calculator I simply... don't use it. I like to think that in this situation I would come at least close to pass, because IMO at the end of the day what really matters is that I understand what it takes to get to the answer. On the other hand, the solutions in the ActEd material are all very numbers-oriented and this could mean my thinking is wrong...

4. rudemood

rudemood Member

speed?

Hey all,

I've passed CT1 without the use of the formulae&tables book, and I managed to finish the paper too.

My advice is:

1. Get experience by solving problems against time, as you would in an examination.

2. Use your calculators wisely; put the numbers in the formula before writing the result and get your hands on a double line display, decent scientific calculator.

5. didster

didster Member

In my opinion it just takes practice.
    Although I got exemptions and didnt write an actual CT1, I think the exams I wrote were similar.

You can do CT1 with the tables or without. Its fairly easy to get the standard annuites etc with a calculator and its more of a matter of which you can use faster. So practice with both and see which you find faster.

Keep practicing as the techniques for speed etc for CT1 are a necessity (in my opinion) for CT5.

6. bystander

bystander Member

Congrats Rudemood! Never heard of anyone who didn't use the tables.

My advice is get a copy and start using it.... In case you have a mental block, there are formulae in there too.

Don't derive formulae unless explicitly asked would be my advice too. That should help speed you up.

7. nemesis

nemesis Member

I agree that time is the key issue on this paper,

my advice would be to do loads of past papers and really get to know your calculator. Use the memory function to store key intermediate figures. Also, i know it is stating the obvious, but know the subject so you don't have to spend too long thinking about how to answer a question in the exam!

Good Luck :)

8. rudemood

rudemood Member

dearest bystander

I;m sure that you would not be offended if I called to your sense of reason and reiterate that I have not used the formulae&tables book when sitting CT1.

Nobody in their right mind (I hope) would disregard that wonderful source of...inspiration :)

Congrats Rudemood! Never heard of anyone who didn't use the tables.

My advice is get a copy and start using it.... In case you have a mental block, there are formulae in there too.

Don't derive formulae unless explicitly asked would be my advice too. That should help speed you up.[/QUOTE]