the end of memo and email

Discussion in 'CA3' started by uktous, Jun 2, 2009.

1. uktous

uktous Member

hi,

at the end of an email or a memo, do we need to write ' Regards and my name' ?

In exam report of old exam paper, there are no ' Regards and my name' at the end of an eamil or memo.

However, in recent paper, there are ' Regards and my name' at the end of an eamil or memo.

2. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

It is good practice to sign off. Depending on the audience and formality of the memo/e-mail, a simple "Regards, Jim" is sufficient.

3. bystander

bystander Member

It can be left off on the grounds that sender and recipient will be in the headers. But I know some people never read in practise who its from and expect the 'sign-off' to be there.

Generally adds for a more friendly image particularly if its to a peer rather than someone far more senior.

4. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

"It can be left off on the grounds that sender and recipient will be in the headers" - true - but be careful. This is also the case for a formal letter and you would always be expected to sign off a formal letter.

5. capitalH

capitalH Member

In real life, I tend to use a sign-off in an e-mail, but not in a memo, as the memo is frequently from more than one sender.

For the exam though I think it will be safer to end with the sign-off (right tone though).