Taking notes before/during CA3

Discussion in 'CA3' started by css1987, Feb 9, 2012.

1. css1987

css1987 Member

Hello

A few questions all on the same theme, hopefully easily answered by someone who has already done the course or a tutor:

1. Are we are allowed to take notes during the learning part of Day 1 and use them in both slide prep and the written exam?

2. Can we make notes on the background reading given to us at the start of Day 2 and take them into the written exam?

3. Are we allowed to prepare notes in advance of the course and use them in both slide prep and the written exam?

Speedy response would be appreciated- I'm off to Edinburgh on Monday!

Thanks

2. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Good questions of which I'm uncertain as to the precise answers. I will approach the Profession and look to get definitive answers asap.
    In the interim I'll be interested to read of any candidates experiences in terms of taking notes into the computer room at an examination centre.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  3. mattt78

mattt78 Member

I took the exam about 6 months ago in london and my experience was:

1. yes, we were given a yellow booklet on day 1 containing all the material covered in day 1, and we were allowed to make our own notes in this booklet, and take it into the written exam and slide presentation time.

2. No, read only. Interestingly, we were not allowed to look at in the exam itself (which i thought rather odd).

3. No, we were only allowed to take in the yellow booklet, but we were told that we could copy any of our own notes into there, so there's nothing stopping writing anything you want in there. You have access to CT notes too of course.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2012
  4. css1987

css1987 Member

Thanks both, and I look forward to hearing what the AP has to say.

I guess if we can scrawl down our pre-prepared notes in the yellow booklets- either during day 1 or in the evening between the two days- then I'm happy.

I just don't want to waste time memorising checklists if I can just take them up with me on paper!

5. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I have now got confirmation from the Profession that the yellow booklet (a handout at the start of day 1 of the 2-day practical exam) may be taken into the computer room on day 1 - i.e. whilst preparing the slides for question 1.

However, the booklet cannot be taken in to the computer room on day 2 - i.e. whilst drafting an answer to the second question.

I have updated our FAQ document accordingly (see separate sticky thread).

6. css1987

css1987 Member

Thanks for your help.

I appreciate it's a little late in the day for me, but I just realised we have a contradiction!

It's frustrating having to worry about these sorts of things on the eve of an exam! Some might argue that it doesn't really matter, but when it comes to exams I take comfort in knowing exactly what I have to do and what I can use to help me pass. Do we have a communication issue here?

Anyway I'd better get on the train. Like I said, this is more for future sitters than for me (although the two aren't necessarily distinct!).

Chris

7. ZebuAlex

ZebuAlex Member

I sat CA3 in January and we were allowed the yellow book for making our slides, but NOT for the written part on the second day.

8. mattt78

mattt78 Member

notes for CA3

Interesting. When I took it, nobody in charge seemed to clear what the rules were, and obviously the course was still pretty new, so i'm not suprised we ended up doing something we shouldn't have been able to.

(I also think they made a mistake by not letting us look at the exam pre-reading in the actual exam time - i'd still be interested to know if was correct).