Surplus reinsurance

Discussion in 'CA1' started by Damo123, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Damo123

Damo123 Member

Can somebody please explain surplus reinsurance? A numerical example would be good?

Thanks

2. tad29

tad29 Member

Surplus reinsurance for general insurers

OK, here's how it works in general insurance. (Perhaps someone else can fill you in on life.) A surplus treaty is a type of quota share treaty where the proportion of each risk ceded can be different. The treaty will specify:

L = number of "lines" (the meaning of this will become clear in the example)
    r = minimum retention
    R = maximum retention

When the insurer accepts a risk, it can decide what proportion of it to cede within certain limits. The amount of risk retained must be between r and R and the amount ceded must not be more than L times the amount retained. As a numerical example, suppose L=5, r=$1m and R=$20m. I wish to insure a property for which the estimated maximum loss (EML) is $60m. I could:

i) Retain the maximum, i.e. $20m and cede $40m. Since $40m is twice $20m this would mean I am using 2 of the 5 lines. In this case I would pay two thirds of premiums on this policy to the reinsurer and recover two thirds of any claims from the reinsurer since $40m is two thirds of $60m.

ii) Retain $10m and cede $50m. This would be using all of the 5 lines. In this case I would pay five sixths of premiums to the reinsurer and recover five sixths of any claims as $50m is five sixths of $60m.

iii) Retain something inbetween these two and cede the rest. In this case I would pay premiums and recover claims according to the proportion of the risk ceded.

Note, I can't retain only $1m since this would involve ceding $59m and there aren't 59 lines on the treaty.

I've given you all the detail you've asked for here but I doubt that you would be required to be able to reproduce all of this for a CA1 exam. Don't know for sure though.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2011