Successful Appeal -Anyone?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Suzuki, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Suzuki

Suzuki Member

Hello Everyone,

Hope you are enjoying the break for Christmas. I wanted to check quickly with anyone who might have appealed and got a successful result.
    I appeared for ST7 this time and was confident of passing, missed just by 3 marks. I am seriously thinking about an appeal (although I am prepared for the worst outcome as the worst has already happened).

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could let me know what points/reasons you included in your appeal as the guide explicitly states one shouldn't question the marker's judgement. As it is a subjective exam, all I can think of is - there might be different answers / judgements possible. It also states to include evidence to substantiate your claim, I don't really remember what I wrote and can only make an attempt at replicating the answers. What did you guys include in terms of substantiating your claim.

I understand tutors may not be permitted to answer this directly but if there is any guidance which can be shared, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you very much and wish you all a Great Christmas and New year ahead!!

2. Suzuki

Suzuki Member

bump anyone?

3. Pede

Pede Member

Have a search on these forums for 'appeal' and you'll find loads of threads about whether it's useful to appeal. Basically, I wouldn't bother unless you think the process has failed. Spend the money on exam counselling instead to see how you can improve for next time.

4. bystander

bystander Member

Never tried. Before you do have you studied the examiners report? Have you tried the paper again to see how it feels now? Ok it's unlikely you'd write down exactly what you did before ( not least because you have seen the question) but I'd imagine some consistency. Your alternative is to go for counselling but before spending any money, stand back and reassess what it is you want to achieve and why you were so adamant you had passed.

5. Tarbuck

Tarbuck Member

https://www.actuaries.org.uk/studying/after-exams/make-appeal

Look at the appeal statistics in the link at the bottom - to me it suggests that you would need a pretty strong case to have any hope and I'm not sure you do, so I would advise against it. You have my sympathy though, I do feel the later exams can be overly subjective.

6. GemmaT

GemmaT Member

Hi,

I appealed my April exam after I failed the exam by one mark. I don't want to go into details as to why I appealed but the institute did uphold the appeal. Unfortunately I only got an apology (and a refund of the appeal fee) but no change to my final grade.

The institute will not look at your appeal if you state it is because you disagree with the examiner, it’s very clear in their policy wording. I think your first action is to request a breakdown of your marks - email Clifford.Campbell@actuaries.org.uk and ask for the subject access request (SAR). You will then receive a breakdown of the marks you received from each examiner. Given that you were close to the pass mark I think your paper should be marked 3 times (its only marked twice if it’s a clear fail or a clear pass). If your paper was only marked twice then I think you may have grounds for appeal. However, simply disagreeing with the final exam result is not sufficient and you will be wasting your money.

I would also suggest emailing Education.Services@actuaries.org.uk, they should be able to advise you on what qualifies as grounds for appeal.

Ultimately getting an appeal upheld with a change to the pass mark is exceptionally difficult. I spent over a month agonising over the appeal process (normal turnaround is 1 week, my appeal took 3 weeks) and this affected my focus when studying for the repeat.

Hope this helps

7. almost_there

almost_there Member

How can students challenge say the failure by the IFoA to follow their processes properly when these detailed documented exam processes are concealed from students?

8. Infinity

Infinity Member

You are unlikely to succeed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2018
  9. The IFOA are performing a public function and are considered to be an administrative body (since they confer qualifications). Or put another way, if they didnt exist, then the government would have to take over their role. Because they are determining a persons rights, the process has to comply with the principles of Natural Justice. Natural justice does not permit a closed secret process. I could write a lot more, on Natural justice. the best bet is to take it to the ET and seed this in to another claim. Perhaps indirect sex discrimination, race, disability, age ,,, It is all possible

10. Depends where you lodge the appeal. If it is with the IFOA then no. If it is with the EAT, then yes