Subject choice advice

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by John H, Oct 10, 2007.

1. John H

John H Member

I sat my 1st 2 actuarial subjects in September (CT1 and CT3) and was intending to sit CT7 and CT4 next sitting but have realised that they are both in the 1st week. Is it possible to take CT5 without having attempted CT4 in the past? My background is a maths degree.

Can anyone advise me?

Many Thanks

John

2. anon2

anon2 Member

Yes its fine.

Can you really not handle two exams in a week?

3. MissAussie

MissAussie Member

Hey, I'm in the same boat! did CT1 and 3, deciding on next April's subjects.

Have you considered doing Ct6? from another thread:

In my opinion it is best to do CT6 immediately after CT3 as it builds on a lot of material from CT3. I don't think CT4 is a pre requisite for CT6, most of the stuff from Markov chains is covered in CT6 itself, althoug some knowledge on stochastic processes would be helpful while doing the chapters on time series, basic revision material ids provided in the CT6 course notes.

4. MissAussie

MissAussie Member

I'm in Australia and our results aren't out yet for another 2 hours... *fingers crossed*

Dukerio, you say I shouldn't choose my subjects based on the timing of the exams, but I'm afraid I *am* last minute person, and there is no way I can do two exams on consecutive days. I usually spend the last 3 days before the exam learning the last quarter of the course (!)

Let's see if I pass... I also have a maths degree and it's my first time sitting the CT1 and 3 exams...

5. MissAussie

MissAussie Member

results were released at 10am. (half an hour ago)
    I passed both Ct1 and Ct3, but man the Ct3 exam was stressful (I got up at 5am to *learn* ANOVAs!!!!!!)

I am the ultimate procrastinator. I could write you an essay on how bad I am, but I'll put it off till tomorrow. :)

I was alarmed by the CT4 pass rate for australian students (18%!!!) I'd better not do last-min study for that one!!

6. MindFull

MindFull Ton up Member

Got my results

:confused:

Wow... I passed my CT3. I only took one exam in Sept. but I want to start taking the CT's two by two from April 08. To say that I am scared for CT4 is an understatement.... I've been trying to find people who've passed CT4 already, but Jamaica is REALLY small, with few actuaries, and most actuaries do SOA so... no luck there...
    Anyone with tips, please send em along....
    Thanks.