Studying ST9

Discussion in 'SP9' started by JustJoe, Oct 20, 2015.

1. JustJoe

JustJoe Member

Hi all,

About to start studying ST9 for the first time and have just received the 2 textbooks, however the ActEd notes won't be dispatched until the end of the month.

Given the volume of material I'm keen to make a start so wondered what the best study approach seems to be for this subject? (The study guide is also not available until the end of the month).

Have heard mixed reviews on both text books, so while it'd be interesting to read around the subject I'd also be keen to hear what approach works best in order to secure a pass.

Cheers,
    Joe

2. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Joe

Our advice would be to start reading Lam. This will begin to give you the big picture overview and give you a good head start.

Barring any last minute issues, Acted notes and study guide are expected to be distributed soon.

Other ST9 students may be able to share their experiences of the best way to get into the subject.

Simon

3. Eldino

Eldino Member

Are the notes due to change much?

I'm also curious if there's any reflection of the increasing SA-ness trend of the exams.

4. Simon James

Hi

There are a few, relatively minor changes to the Core Reading - anyone with 2015 Notes can easily amend them to make them suitable for 2016.

There are no changes to the set textbooks.

We have however substantially changed the course structure for 2016 to improve the flow of the course and make it easier for students to progress through (hopefully!). Those with 2015 notes can upgrade to the new 2016 version at reduced retaker rates - contact our admin team.

5. JustJoe

JustJoe Member

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the info. Any idea when the notes are likely to be dispatched?

Cheers,
    Joe

6. I took st9 in April and I'd agree reading lam as it's easy going but the early chapters of sweeting are relevant too so could break it up with a few of them for some variation.

There is A LOT to read so starting as soon as possible is a good idea.

But I really enjoyed this subject, did it all self study coming at it from a pensions background, found it far more challenging that ST4. But managed to pass first time.

If you read both lam and sweeting you'll find there is some overlap/ repetition but I think this helps to secure things in your mind, albeit if it does bore you slightly for a while.

Good luck!

7. Simon James

Hi Joe - they should be in the post. If you don't receive them very soon contact our admin team. Simon

8. ALEX_AK

ALEX_AK Member

Hello,

I am taking ST9 exam in 2016 Sept. I find the core reading summarizing the readings from the 2 textbooks. May I ask if it is sufficient to just read the core reading? Any thoughts?

9. Simon James

Alex - be careful the Core Reading (in Arial Bold in the notes) is a very small amount of reading. The textbooks are additional required reading prescribed by the IFoA to meet the syllabus, which are summarised in the notes.

I hope some other students share their own experiences and strategies, but I would not recommend ignoring the textbooks completely!

10. jeetenge

jeetenge Member

In the textbooks, lot of additional information is provided which is not provided in the Core Reading
    For instance. Chapter 4 of the Core Reading provides only Cadbury Code and UK Corporate Governance Code, however additional codes such as Dey Report, King Report, KMB Report and other reports are also provided.

Could anyone clarify how important is these reports from exam point of view and what type of questions can be expected from these reports.