Studying for SA6

Discussion in 'SA6' started by tneduts, May 12, 2009.

1. tneduts

tneduts Member

Has anybody got any advice regarding a structured approach to studying for SA6? On first impressions, there does not seem to be a direct link between the core reading and the exam questions. If anything there is more of an overlap with the core reading for subjects ST5 and CA1.

2. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I would be interested in what any other students have to say on this one?? I will put my personal opinion down here to answer the query: you are right that the core reading has not been examined for a while. It is wise not to spend all your study time on it. There is a paper within the core reading by Urwin et al which has a number of behavioural finance issues - this has been examined quite frequently.
    You need to look elsewhere when studying SA6, particularly look for papers and discussions on topics that are hot in the investment consulting world, and more generally in the financial world in the UK. Hot topics are often those debated in Staple Inn discussions or presented at Investment and Finance Conferences hosted by the Profession each year. But you have to look wider than that - talk to practising actuaries to see what clients are talking about and then find literature on it. Read the weekend FT and see what the government is doing vis securitisations to rescue the banks (and the economy!), and about the influences of interest rate changes and currency depreciation etc. You need to be switched on in a general sense to the UK financial climate.
    In addition, there are a number of concepts that do repeat in SA6. So studying the solutions to past papers over the last 5 years is also vital.

(Above all - attend ActEd tutorials?? )

Any other views on what to read and where to look?

3. Cardano

Cardano Member

Unashamed plug?:)