Study technique for CA1

Discussion in 'CA1' started by maz1987, Oct 27, 2013.

1. maz1987

maz1987 Member

I'm making a start on CA1 revision (first sitting of the subject is in April), and am keen to get some feedback on my proposed study technique.

My plan is to:

Read through the notes, summarising the core reading as I get to the end of each chapter (I imagine this often ends up in replicating the lists that are included in the core reading). The aim is that if I can reproduce all 49 summaries (and understand it - not just regurgitate it), I will stand a very good shot at passing the exam.

Devise a list of mnemonics, going over them continuously ensuring I can list them all by exam time.

Reference the syllabus, ensuring I can properly complete each point.

Attend the five-day regular tutorial, which I have a place confirmed for.

Work to the recommended deadlines of the assignments X1-X10 as I get to the end of each part (I will miss the deadline of X1 as I am starting only a few days before the deadline, but I will make up for lost time). I haven't purchased marking, although am considering doing so as I imagine I'll find comments from the markers very useful. One question about the assignments though - is it advised to complete them under exam conditions first time without looking at the notes?

I will need to make sure I continue to go over past chapters as I progress through the course. If I can keep on top of the recommended deadlines of the assignments, I'll complete the course on 12th March. However I'm a bit concerned that that only leaves around a month to go through all past papers, all the while going over the summaries of each chapter to ensure I don't forget them. As an alternative, I'm considering replacing the assignments with the answering of past paper questions relevant to that part. So eg instead of doing assignment X1 I go through all past paper questions that test knowledge of part 1. How does this sound?

It's important to have a structure for study, but want to make sure my structure isn't unrealistic, and is focussed on those things which will best help me past the exam.

Thanks!

2. calibre2001

calibre2001 Member

3. maz1987

maz1987 Member

Thanks. I've now come up with what I hope is an effective study plan - time will tell!

4. Priortising Chapters

Which are the most difficult chapters in CA1. I want to study the difficult chapters now and leave the easy ones for later, as I know I will anyways have to study them again. Any suggestions? TIA

5. Helen Evans

Helen Evans Ton up Member Staff Member

This is quite a difficult question to answer, as it will vary from person to person depending on your strengths and the area in which you work. My primary advice would be to work through the course in the order it's set out (following the control cycle) so you are introduced to the topics in a logical way.

However, if pushed I'd say that students who don't work in pensions often find the pensions chapters conceptually difficult to start with (Chapters 6 and 40, although also read 39 before 40 to put in context) and the economics chapter 20.

6. Thanks for your help Helen!