Study plan/strategy query

Discussion in 'SP4' started by GE1979, Jul 17, 2012.

1. GE1979

GE1979 Member

Hi there

I recently found out that I failed ST4 again and so I'm re-sitting it on 1 October.

I've worked in UK pensions for nearly 10 years, passed SA4, received counselling for ST4 previously and sat it 4 times and it's still eluding me...
    I keep getting either FAs or FBs but I'm going to do another counselling session to get feedback on the April 2012 paper I failed.

This is my last written exam and I'm going to study it alongside my preparation for CA2 over the next 10-11 weeks.

I'd be grateful for any advice/further suggestions on the following:

• How long should I be aiming to spend on ST4 given I feel like I already know it well (I'm trying to fit in in with a minimum of 50 hours of CA2)
    • My strategy for ST4 is to spend the next 3 weeks using the flashcards along with some chosen questions from the Q&A banks/revision booklets to get back up to speed with the core reading asap
    • I'll also read the syllabus again to check I've covered all the points
    • Do past papers (say 2009-2011) under exam conditions and mark them
    • Review other past papers e.g. 2005-2009 but maybe try them under exam conditions if time permits
    • Get counselling for my 2012 April attempt.
    Thanks

2. elliepoon

elliepoon Member

Hi, it may not be relevant here..but i found out i failed my exam too..:( :(
    how many points are they looking for in a 10 mark questions..
    do we need to write 20 points?

3. GE1979

GE1979 Member

I think it depends on the instructions in the question but my understanding is the general rule of thumb is a distinct point earns you a 0.5 mark, so you'd need 20 distinct points for a 10 mark question.

However, I think that some very important key points can earn you 1 mark if you demonstrate that you understand it well.