Strategic Change to CA1 in 2008

Discussion in 'CA1' started by Sunkissed, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Sunkissed

Sunkissed Member

Hello

I have recently heard that CA1 will be renamed to Actuarial Risk Management and so there will be significant changes to the course notes and exam emphasis.

some people are saying there will be an extra 9 new chapters added to the notes. Can you please confirm
    1. whether this is true and how significant the changes will be.
    2. will changes take effect from Sept 08 sitting?
    3. what new areas of risk managment will be introduced
    4. will the overall course content increase or will these new chapters be replaced by some current chapters

Finally, I would like some advise on what to take this April. I am currently studying ST2 (first sitting) but failed CA1 last time (FA) so am tempted to sit both of these + CA3 in April. However, I think with only 3 months to go, I am not sure if I have sufficient time to have a good stab at all 3 exams (ST2 onto Part 5).

Thanks in advance!

2. Anna Bishop

Anna Bishop ActEd Tutor Staff Member

2009 changes

Hello Sunkissed

The latest advice on 2009 changes to CA1 on the profession's website is:

CA1 – Core Applications Concepts has been revised to increase the emphasis on risk management. To reflect this it has also been renamed Core Applications – Actuarial Risk Management. The new Syllabus and revised Core Reading will be available from 31 May 2008.

This will affect exams from April 2009 onwards (but not in 2008).

The profession are aiming to ensure that the size of the Core Reading is similar to its current size. I'm not sure where your rumour of 9 extra chapters has come from. The ActEd tutors have not even started writing the 2009 course yet!

We can't say definitively what the new areas will be - as you can see from the above, the syllabus will be available May 2008. But likely to include portfolio risk management, quantifiying risk, reporting risk, a risk budget. Note that some areas of the current course will be reduced to compensate but again, I can't firm up on details.

Re CA1/ST2/CA3, there is a reasonable amount of overlap between CA1 and ST2 and I know of several people who have managed to take them together successfully. I would have a good think about CA3 though. It's not an exam you can take a fly at and pass. It requires a lot of work and past paper practise. How about leaving it until the summer?

Anna