State price deflators. Sep 2013 Q6

Discussion in 'CT8' started by vegan, Sep 26, 2016.

1. vegan

vegan Member

Hi in the examiners solution of the above question, the state price deflator of the middle node (Aud and Adu) have been combined together. r=0.02 and p=0.7. Why is their denominator multipied by 2 (i.e. 2*0.7*0.3*1.02^2). As the denominator for Auu and Aud are each 0.7*0.3*1.02^-2 , would you not still get 0.7*0.3*1.02^-2 when you add them together, since common denominators do not change upon adding? The same is seen with September 2011 question 7 but I do not understand why we multiply by 2 if we r just adding two common denominators.

2. Steve Hales

Steve Hales ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi
    I don't think that there are any fractions being added together here. The denominator of the state price deflator contains the real world probability of a particular node being reached. The middle node that you've identified can be reach via two routes, and so the total real-world probability of arriving there is 2*0.7*0.3. The numerator is just the risk-neutral version, which again contains the total probability of reaching that point in the tree.
    Hope that helps :)
    Let me know if I haven't understood you correctly.