st8 stats level

Discussion in 'SP8' started by decrement, Sep 14, 2011.

1. decrement

decrement Member

hi all

i've just moved into GI after a long time in pensions and was thinking of doing st8 in april.

Was just wondering how much stats is involved? its been a while since i passed ct3 & ct6. im trying to decide whether to do it with st7 (if the stats is ok) or just do st8 alone.

Cheers.

2. mattt78

mattt78 Member

st8 stats

If you've passed CT3 and CT6 you'll be fine with ST8, even if you're quite rusty. There's very little stats in there, and nothing new.
    I'm sitting ST8 this time, and had similar concerns, but was quite relieved to find nothing too bad in there :cool:

3. mattt78

mattt78 Member

and there's quite alot of overlap between st7 and st8, so studying them together is probably quite a good idea (if you have the time)

4. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Maybe a tiny bit optimistic, Matt. After all, there are a couple of hundred-odd pages covering GLMs, MVAs, aggregate claims distributions and credibility theory! But you're right, so far at least the examiners haven't asked much on the very nasty mathsy bits.

5. decrement

decrement Member

ok cheers, given there are a few hundered odd pages on stats, what is the likelihood of proper calculations coming up?

I feel im a bit more disadvantaged as i work in reserving not pricing.

6. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to likelihood in the future. We only have 3 past ST8 papers to go on, so you might like to use them as an indication of the future (with the usual actuarial caveats:) )

I don't think you're disadvantaged, plenty are in the same position as you.

Good luck!

7. mattt78

mattt78 Member

st8 stats content

I was perhaps rather optimistic (apologies), but I think it might be worth clarifying - there 3 chapters (total 200+ pages) which includes some stats, but I would not say there are anything like 200+ pages of material which is stats. (Sorry to be pedantic, but I think Ian said the former, which decrement interpreted to mean the latter, but the two are rather different!)

There are 3 (out of 21) chapters I can think of which contain statsy calculations - these are the ones Ian refers to: Credibility, GLMs, and Multivariate Models.

The GLM and Multivariate Model chapters are huge, and contain maybe 50-60 pages of maths between them, of which maybe half is statsy. I am assuming (as I guess quite alot of candidates will) that this stuff is unlikely to be examined, but of course that is a bit of a risk.

The Credibility chapter does make quite alot of use of stats, but I don't think its too tricky.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2011