ST8 before CT4, CT5, CT6, CT8

Discussion in 'SP8' started by Oldy-but-Goody, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Hi there

I am considering taking ST8 before the 4 CTs listed above. It is unusual I imagine, but it is going to fit very well with my work and study time available over the next year.

Is there any obvious reason to not do this, that is, will some of the material I am missing having not taken the above CTs cause me a lot of issues in passing ST8?

Cheers

2. Calum

Calum Member

Certainly CT6 contains a lot of GI material, and looking at the syllabus there do seem to be big chunks that would appear to require knowledge of these.

The others I suspect you could get away with not knowing so well.

3. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

CT6 is most definitely needed before (or at the same time as) ST8. The others aren't needed.

4. entact

entact Member

I think it's doable, particularly if you're working in a pricing role and have experience working on GLIMS etc.

It would be helpful to have done CT6 but they are very different exams. Order the CT6 core reading as a reference but most of the chapers in ST8 are new and don't rely on CT6 knowledge.

Take a chance!

5. Some useful responses here!

My main issue is that I am fed up with the maths! I work in a Pricing role, but my maths is annoyingly rusty. In short, to pass CT4 & CT5, I'm not that far off. I was considering doing one per session, and spreading out ST8 over the year so taking that too in the second session.

CT6 I'm much further away with, I think I scraped through CT3 so need to refresh that knowledge too. Thought I would put this pain off a year!

If not having CT6 would be an issue, then another option might be to concentrate on CT6 (plus refresh CT3) this session, then implement the above masterplan from the next session? Does that sound more sensible?

If these plans seem a little 'light' it's as I am self studying.

Thanks