ST8 April 2010 Q5(iv)

Discussion in 'SP8' started by Lisa Ps, Sep 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Lisa Ps

Lisa Ps Member

Hi,

In Question 5 (iv), to calculate the inflation factor that needs to be applied, the answer considers the midpoint of the ILF period and the midpoint of the policy period (1 July 2012).

Why do we not consider the midpoint of the payment dates of the claims arising in this new policy period, i.e 1 July 2015, since the ILF table considers loss costs?

2. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

That sounds reasonable enough Lisa. Alas though, they didn't give that information in the question. Mind you, if we assume constant inflation, constant settlement delays and constant reporting, it shouldn't matter. The important point is to understand whether the ILF is appropriate for the business you're pricing.

3. Lisa Ps

Lisa Ps Member

So it doesn't matter which period (exposure period or claims arising) as long as we state our assumptions?

because if I applied a different inflationary factor to the ILF tables, the answers would differ.

4. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

There's no hard and fast rule particularly Lisa, it just depends what you're given in the question. If you were to push me though, I think for more "traditional" questions (I mean Burning Cost questions, or frequency-severity questions), I'd be more inclined to apply inflation to the dates of payment, if I can. The examiners haven't been too concerned with this for ILF questions though, so don't worry too much.